Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ashley

The Ashley estate consisted of lands in the Mullaghmore area of north Sligo which had previously been part of the Temple (Lords Palmerston) estate. Bateman asserts that this estate amounted to over 12,000 acres by 1883. In 1906 the Hon. Evelyn Ashley owned over 1000 acres of untenanted lands including a mansion house.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Classiebawn Castle Mullaghmore Ahamlish Sligo Cliffony North Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G696564
OS Sheet:
Discovery map: 16
Rindaly Cottage Creevymore Ahamlish Sligo Cliffony North Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G712543
OS Sheet: 2
Discovery map: 16
Kilkilloge Tower Kilkilloge Ahamlish Sligo Cliffony North Carbury Galway OSI Ref: G705579
OS Sheet:
Discovery map: 16

Archival sources

  • Correspondence re liability for rates; Sligo County Library
  • Broadlands Papers: estate papers of the Ashley and Cowper-Temple families relating to estates in Dublin and Sligo, 17th-20th century; Southampton University Library
  • Correspondence relating to estate of Countess Edwina Mountbatten, 1946-58. S.R. ; Sligo County Library
  • Compensation claimrs, contracts, leases & valuations relating to Countess Mountbatten estate, 1896-1959. S.R. ; Sligo County Library
  • Broadlands Archive relating to families of Temple, Viscount Palmerston; Cowper-Temple; Ashley and Mountbatten, include title deeds for Irish estates, with rentals, maps and other estate papers for County Sligo and Dublin, 1620 to early 20th century. MS 62.; Southampton University Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources