Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Nesbitt/Nisbitt (Fort Nisbitt)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Clarke (Bushy Park) Online sources suggest that David Clarke of Park House, Macclesfield, was involved in the cloth trade with India. He was the son of Jeremiah Clarke and was married to Jane Cooke, whose father left a large inheritance to his granddaughter, Sarah Alice Clarke. He was Mayor of Macclesfield in 1868 and a Justice of the Peace for county Tipperary in the 1870s. In the 1870s David Clarke of Bushy Park, Borrisokane and Park Lodge, Macclesfield, owned 5362 acres in county Tipperary and 760 acres in county Waterford while the representatives of Jeremiah Clarke of Ballyglasheen owning 2,011 acres. David Clarke bought the Nesbitt estate at Borrisokane in 1854 see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm.
Nesbitt/Nisbitt (Fort Nisbitt) The Reverend Meade Nesbitt was a member of the Nesbitt family of Kinsale, county Cork. He was rector of Borrisokane, county Tipperary, and lived at Fort Nisbitt. In 1772 his daughter Mary married Daniel Brereton. Robert Nesbitt was living at Fort Nisbitt in the early 19th century. He is referred to in the Ordnance Survey Name Books. By 1844 Robert's son, the Reverend James Meade Nesbitt, was bankrupt and fled to London where he was arrested on charges related to breaches of the peace in county Tipperary. Crockford's Clerical Dictionary of 1865 records him as domestic chaplain to Lord Dunalley. The estate of William Whitmore, assignee of the Reverend James Meade Nisbett, consisting of 410 acres at Liskinlahan and Gaulross, close to Borrisokane, was advertised for sale in January 1854. It was bought by David Clarke for £2,170 (see http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estates/est_news.htm)