Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Power (Decies-without-Drum)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Power (Decies-without-Drum) Gallwey states that the various branches of the Power family were associated with this area long before the Cromwellian settlement. After that settlement the Power lands at Carrigcastle and adjacent townlands were granted first to the Ponsonbys who later exchanged them with Sir Thomas Osborne of Newtown Anner. In the later seventeenth century the properties in Balylaneen parish were leased to the Anthony family, in whose possession they remained until the early twentieth century though one or sometimes both houses were leased to Powers at different times. The representatives of Samuel Poer were the owners of over 1000 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s. Samuel Browning Power, then resident in Wales, was the owner of over 500 acres in county Waterford. William Power, resident at Affane, was the owner of over 300 acres at the same time. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Pierce Power was among the principal lessors in Affane parish, barony of Decies without Drum. Samuel Power held townlands in the parish of Kilmolash at that time while Patrick Power was a lessor in Modelligo parish. William, Mary Ann and Nicholas Power held townlands in Stradbally parish. Beresford Power was among the principal lessors in the parish of Whitechurch. In May 1860, Edward Sandiford Power offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court, his interest in lands at Affane,barony of Decies-without-Drum.
Miles (Tipperary) George Miles of Summerhill, Clonmel, county Tipperary, married Margaret Wright and had a son, Reverend George Miles and a daughter, Rebecca. Reverend George married a daughter of Garret Neville of Annamult, county Kilkenny and had five daughters. He may have married twice as another source states that he married Jane Poer of Belleville, county Waterford. By the 1830s the Miles were leasing Summerhill to the Moores. Another family named Miles held land at Rochestown and Ballylaffin, barony of Iffa and Offa West in the early 19th century. It is not clear if they were related to the Miles family of Clonmel. In the 1870s the Reverend Usher Miles of Warrington, England, owned 582 acres in county Tipperary.