Desmond Norton writes that John Ferrall was the son of Terrance Ferrall and that John had a brother Richard who was the father of Daniel Henry Ferrall. D.H. Ferrall's sisters were Catherine who married E.J. Irwin (parents of Edward and Daniel Irwin), Louisa married Edmond Taaffe of Woodfield, Rose married Pat Nolan (parents of John Nolan Ferrall) and Mrs Conmee.
|Nolan/ Ferrall (Lugboy)||An estate comprised of nine townlands amounting to almost 1400 acres in the parish of Annagh, barony of Costello, county Mayo, and almost a thousand acres in the parish of Killasser, barony of Gallen, owned by the Nolan family. Their estate was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court on 7 Oct 1851, adjourned to 6 July 1852 (parish of Annagh) and on 27 Apr 1852 (parish of Killasser). It was all bought by John Nolan Ferrall, a nephew of the former proprietor. John Nolan Ferrall also acquired other lands, including part of the Ferrall estate in county Roscommon and the estate of Lord Oranmore and Browne in the parish of Knock. In 1864 and 1867 he was selling the lands of Casheltauna, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon and in 1866 he advertised the sale of 3606 acres of his estate in the barony of Gallen, county Mayo. In February 1867 portions of this property were bought by D. Keane and William Maude of Swinford but the sale of other parts was adjourned. In 1875 over 170 acres of his land in the barony of Kilmaine was sold in the Landed Estates Court. It was purchased in trust by Edward D'Alton. In 1876 Nolan Ferrall owned 9731 acres in county Mayo. The representatives of D.H. Farrell of Logboy, Ballyhaunis, also owned 869 acres in county Roscommon. Ó Muraíle writes that the Nolan Ferralls left Lugboy to live in Dublin following the shooting of an estate bailiff in 1881. The Congested Districts' Board took over the estate in May 1906.|
|Taaffe (Woodfield)||Both the Woodfield and Killedan Taaffes were descended from James Taaffe of Greyfield, county Mayo and his wife Mary, granddaughter of Terence MacDonagh. A branch of this family inherited some of the Ferrall lands in county Roscommon and in the 1870s Major Henry Taaffe Ferrall of Moylurg, Boyle, owned 5,140 acres in county Roscommon. In 1876 James Taaffe of Woodfield held an estate of 9030 acres at Woodfield, near Kilkelly, in the parish of Aghamore, barony of Costello, county Mayo. He sold 5808 acres to the Congested Districts' Board on 16 May 1904.|
|Ormsby (Tobervaddy)||A branch of the Ormsby family was settled at Toberavaddy in the parish of Fuerty, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, from the mid 17th century. Sir Edward Ormsby of Shrule and Tobervaddy, leased land from the Earl of Clanricarde in the mid 17th century. He was granted lands in the counties of Limerick, Mayo, Galway and Roscommon under the Acts of Settlement, patent dated 12 Feb 1667/8. His acreage in Connacht amounted to 9,260 acres. Sir Edward was succeeded by his brother Gilbert Ormsby of Tobervaddy in 1683. Gilbert's great grandson George Ormsby appears to have still been residing at Tobervaddy in the mid 18th century. Toberavaddy was in the possession of Robert Irwin at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Ormsbys of Grange, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon were another branch of this family. They owned property in the county until the early 19th century and intermarried with the Lloyds of Rockville, the Hawkes of Brierfield and the Mills of Fairymount. Members of this branch of the family emigrated to Australia and New Zealand and by the time of Griffith's Valuation Grange was in the possession of the representatives of Daniel Farrell. In the 1870s a descendant of this family the Reverend William Ormsby, rector of Arklow, county Wicklow, owned 522 acres in county Roscommon.|
|Lyster (Grange)||A branch of the Lysters resided at Grange, parish of Cam, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon in the early 18th century. In 1718 Thomas Lyster of Athleague married as his second wife Alice (nee Browne) widow of Dominick Meade of Tullyheady, county Tipperary, who was granted lands in counties Roscommon, Galway and Mayo in 1681. Thomas Lyster of Grange and later of Athleague had 2 sons, William of Athleague and Thomas of Grange. William Gacquin writes that the Lysters sold Grange, over 1,000 acres, in 1803 to John Farrell of Eccles Street, Dublin. Grange was in the possession of Daniel Ferrall by the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1850s John Lyster held land in the parish of Athleague, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. This estate was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in June 1855. Members of the 19th century generations of this family had careers in the Army and Navy.|
|Irwin (Beechwood)||Christopher Irwin of Newtown and Leabeg, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon was a younger brother of John Irwin ancestor of the Irwins of Rathmoyle and Fernhall. In 1749 John Irwin was farming at Oran; Patt Duigonan was described as an agent of Newtown; John Irwin, a gentleman, lived at Leabeg and James Irwin son and heir of Christopher Irwin of Newtown was living at Rocksborough in the parish of Kilbride. In the 1850s Daniel H. Irwin, held an estate in the parishes of Killinvoy and Kilmeane, barony of Athlone, and in the parish of Drumatemple, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon. He was an nephew and one of the heirs of John Ferrall. On 26 Nov 1856 Daniel H. Irwin of Beechwood, county Roscommon, married Clarinda, daughter of Leonard Hodson of Hodson's Bay. Over 1,200 acres in the baronies of Athlone and Ballymoe belonging to Irwin were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in June 1858. A further 596 acres in the baronies of Castlerea and Ballymoe were offered for sale in June 1862. James Nolan Irwin of Beechwood owned 1,849 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s.|
|Ferrall (Co Roscommon)||In the early 19th century John Farrell or Ferrall acquired large tracts of land mainly in county Roscommon, including the Ormsby's Grange estate, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South and land belonging to the Lysters in the parish of Cam, barony of Athlone. John Ferrall died in 1823 and was succeeded by his nephew, Daniel Henry Ferrall. In 1828 Daniel Farrell was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey Mr Kincaid of Dublin was agent to some of Daniel Farrell's estate. Desmond Norton's book refers to letters concerning the administration of D.H. Ferrall's estates during the Famine period by Stewart and Kincaid, land agents. Joseph Kincaid held two townlands in the parish of Kilcooley, barony of Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Daniel H. Ferrall died in 1853 and was succeeded by his four sisters and their descendants, the Nolan, Taaffe, Conmee and Irwin families. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Daniel Ferrall held land in the parishes of Cam and Kiltoom, barony of Athlone, Kilcolagh, barony of Frenchpark, Baslick, barony of Castlereagh, Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe, Kilglass, barony of Ballintober North, Kilteevan, Kilbride and Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, Killukin, barony of Boyle and Bumlin, Kilcooley, Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. In June 1859 over 10,000 acres in counties Sligo and Roscommon, belonging to Louisa Bridget Taaffe, wife of Edmond Taaffe, Henry Taaffe Ferrall and John Nolan Ferrall, were advertised for sale. Lands in the barony of Corran, county Sligo, the property of John Ferrall, were offered for sale in December 1859. Unsold parts of the county Roscommon estate were advertised for sale again on 24 June 1862 and again in February 1863. Over 1,200 acres of the same estate in the barony of Castlereagh were offered for sale in May 1867 and 1,800 acres of the Frenchpark part of the estate in April 1868 and February 1869. Again in July 1875 over 900 acres of the Ferrall estate in the barony of Frenchpark was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Major Henry Taaffe Ferrall of Moylurg, Boyle, owned 5,140 acres in county Roscommon. In 1906 Beechwood was occupied by Clare M. Nolan who also held untenanted lands mainly in the parish of Kilteevan, barony of Ballintober South. Over 1,200 acres belonging to Clare M. Nolan were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 June 1912.|
|Hughes (Co Roscommon)||The Hughes family appear to have connections with county Sligo and to have been resident at Beechwood in county Roscommon from at least the 1730s. Edward Stewart Gray records Blashford Hughes of Beechwood as High Sheriff of county Sligo in 1738. Taylor and Skinner record Beechwood as the residence of Hughes esquire and a deed in the National Library of Ireland, dated 1783 and involving the Wynne estate, would suggest that Beechwood was the residence of Henry Hughes at that time. The maps in the Public Record Office of Ireland of the Hughes estate in the parishes of Drumatempel and Oran, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon refer to the estate of Thomas Hughes of county Antrim. His daughter married Sir William G. Johnson. It is not clear if this is the same Hughes family as that of Beechwood.|