Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bagge (Waterford)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bagge (Waterford) Historical sources suggest the Bagge family descended from John Bagge who settled in Waterford sometime in the early seventeenth century. Sadleir, referring to 1775, notes "George Bagg of Dromore, his wife a Papist" and "John Bagg of Ardmore". In the 1870s J.H. Bagge of Ardmore House was the owner of over 3000 acres in county Waterford. Simon Bagge was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ardmore and Lisgenan or Grange, barony of Decies-within-Drum in 1851. The family sold the estate in the early 1920s.
Walsh/Welsh (Decies) "Astle" Walsh was among the principal lessors in the parish of Ardmore, county Waterford at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In February 1851, almost 1600 acres, the property of Thomas Astell Welsh, situated in the baronies of Decies-within and Decies-without-Drum, were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The purchasers included John Rundel and George Hume. Further sale notices appear later in 1851, including the house at Woodstock. An interest in copper mines, situated at Killeltin and Monekirky in the latter barony, and also the property of Thomas Astell Walsh, was offered for sale in November 1857. The sale notice provides a detailed description of the mine's resources. Over 330 acres, the property of Edmond Hartington Welsh, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1853. The property was situated in the barony of Decies-within-Drum and the sale notice indicates that it was held on lease from the Bagge estate since the 1760s. In November 1856, James and William Walsh offered for sale 250 acres of the lands of Kilmurry, parish of Dungarvan. The Freeman's Journal reported that it was purchased by Mr. Plunkett for over £3000. Referring to 1775, Sadleir noted a Thomas Walsh of Woodstock, who was connected with the Carew family.