Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bagge (Waterford)

Historical sources suggest the Bagge family descended from John Bagge who settled in Waterford sometime in the early seventeenth century. Sadleir, referring to 1775, notes "George Bagg of Dromore, his wife a Papist" and "John Bagg of Ardmore". In the 1870s J.H. Bagge of Ardmore House was the owner of over 3000 acres in county Waterford. Simon Bagge was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Ardmore and Lisgenan or Grange, barony of Decies-within-Drum in 1851. The family sold the estate in the early 1920s.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ardmore or Monea House Monea Ardmore Youghal Ardmore 95 Decies-within-Drum Waterford OSI Ref: X187776
OS Sheet: 40
Discovery map: 82

Archival sources

  • Letters to and from Richard Bagg re estates of the Earl of Cork and Burlington in Munster, with associated items, 1695-1738. Lismore Papers, Ms. 13,235 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Abstract of a deed of June 2, 1834, by Thomas Wyse and Frances Maria, orse Bagge, his wife, of the Manor of St. John's. Waterford, to George Wyse, their son, reciting the indenture of Dec. 20, 1740, in which John, Earl of Grandison, conveys Dromore to Andrew Bagge, 1834. Genealogical Office: Ms.144, pp.42-6 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey Files, Barony of Decies within Drum; Waterford County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources