Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dudley


Estate(s)

Name Description
Janns The Janns were a family established in the town of Ennis, county Clare, from at least the late 18th century. Richard Janns married Clarinda Mahon of Corbally, parish of Clooney, in 1779. They had a son, Captain Charles Janns, Royal Navy, and a daughter, wife of Augustine Greene, solicitor. Mrs. Greene died in 1848. In the early 19th century Charles Janns lived at Brookville, parish of Templemaley, barony of Bunratty Upper. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Charles James [Janns] held land in the parish of Drumcliffe (Cragleagh), barony of Islands, county Clare. In the 1870s the representatives of Charles Janns owned 571 acres in county Clare.
Dudley The Dudley family were living at Mount Dudley on the outskirts of Roscrea, county Tipperary from at least the 1840s. They were merchants in the town and some family members belonged to the Society of Friends (Quakers). Miss Elizabeth Dudley held 2 townlands in the parish of Rahelty, barony of Eliogarty, at the time of Griffith's Valuation and the representatives of E. Dudley, county Kilkenny, owned 241 acres in the 1870s while the representatives of the Reverend Sheldon Dudley of Tinderry, Roscrea owned 460 acres.