The Dudley family were living at Mount Dudley on the outskirts of Roscrea, county Tipperary from at least the 1840s. They were merchants in the town and some family members belonged to the Society of Friends (Quakers). Miss Elizabeth Dudley held 2 townlands in the parish of Rahelty, barony of Eliogarty, at the time of Griffith's Valuation and the representatives of E. Dudley, county Kilkenny, owned 241 acres in the 1870s while the representatives of the Reverend Sheldon Dudley of Tinderry, Roscrea owned 460 acres.
- Copy of grant of arms to the Rev. Sheldon Francis Dudley, son of Francis Dudley of Roscrea, Co. Tipperary, on his assuming under Royal Licence and in compliance with the will of his kinsman, Commander Charles James Janns R. N., of Ennis, the name and arms of Dudley Janns, Feb. 20, 1875. Genealogical Office: Ms. 109, pp. 315-6 ; National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Ikerrin, 66 (Irby)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 161
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Tipperary: Vol.VIII, Parish of Roscrea, p.73