Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Darby


Estate(s)

Name Description
Darby The Darby family lived at Leap Castle, King's County (Offaly) and married members of the Lovett family in the 18th century. Admiral [Sir Henry D'Esterre] Darby died in 1823 and was succeeded by his brother, John Darby of Leap Castle, who had two sons, William Henry of Leap Castle and George of Markley, Member of Parliament for East Sussex. Admiral Darby is recorded in Griffith's Valuation as the holder of three townlands in the parish of Rathnaveoge. In the 1870s Reverend Christopher Darby of Kells, county Kilkenny, owned 76 acres and Horatio Darby of Castletown, Parsonstown, owned 131 acres in county Tipperary.