Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Darby

The Darby family lived at Leap Castle, King's County (Offaly) and married members of the Lovett family in the 18th century. Admiral [Sir Henry D'Esterre] Darby died in 1823 and was succeeded by his brother, John Darby of Leap Castle, who had two sons, William Henry of Leap Castle and George of Markley, Member of Parliament for East Sussex. Admiral Darby is recorded in Griffith's Valuation as the holder of three townlands in the parish of Rathnaveoge. In the 1870s Reverend Christopher Darby of Kells, county Kilkenny, owned 76 acres and Horatio Darby of Castletown, Parsonstown, owned 131 acres in county Tipperary.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Lisduff Lisduff Rathnaveoge Roscrea Bourney West 116 Ikerrin Tipperary OSI Ref: S063 811
OS Sheet: 22
Discovery map: 59

Archival sources

  • S. Gordon & Son, solicitor's collection, includes papers relating to the estates of the Pennefather family in Cos Tipperary, Wicklow, Kildare, Cork & Wexford, 18th & 19th centuries, divided into sections. Associated families include Darby. Small Accs. Index 103, D. 17,597-17,736: T. 7150-7172, M.2090-2175 ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Papers and photocopies re Darby family of Markley purchased 1819 with pedigrees. Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue X, AMS6146-6149 & AMS6320 & AMS6344 ; East Sussex Record Office
  • Horatio Darby Estate, deeds and correspondence with the Puruis family, Lisareen, King’s Co. 1867-1900. Also J.C. Darby correspondence, 1915. Boxes 42 & 62; Roscrea Heritage Society Centre, Damer House, Roscrea

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources