Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Birch (Roscrea)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Birch (Roscrea) Members of the Birch family were prominent distillers and brewers at Roscrea, county Tipperary in the 19th century and held land in the parish of Corbally, barony of Ikerrin. In the 1870s George Birch of Monaincha owned 822 acres, James Sayce Birch of Birch Grove owned 1,086 acres and Mary Anne Birch of Kingstown, county Dublin, owned 898 acres in county Tipperary. http://www.bytown.net/birchtom.htm
Smith (Derryvale) John Sidney Smith was the manager of the Tipperary Joint Stock Bank, Roscrea, until he resigned in 1850 as he had been appointed agent to the 3rd Marquess of Sligo's estate at Westport, county Mayo (''Ballina Chronicle'', 24 July 1850). It is not clear if this Smith family was related to the Smiths of Milford and Gurteen, county Tipperary. Ralph Smith Smith had a son William Sidney Smith but he was too young to be the father of John S. Smith. John S. Smith lived in houses owned by the Birch family in the mid 1840s and was related to the Birches. In the 1870s John S. Smith owned 191 acres in county Tipperary. He died in 1886. His son John Edward Smith lived at Derryvale in the late 19th century. This family may be related to Christopher Smith, a merchant in Roscrea, who died in 1818 as a copy of his will is to be found among papers in the National Archives relating to the Derryvale family. Christopher had sons Samuel, Thomas, Joseph (of Mount Butler) and William.