Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Davies (New Park)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Pennefather (New Park & Lakefield) In 1667 Cornet Matthew Pennefather from Staffordshire was granted lands in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. His son, also named Matthew, married Lavina Kingsmill of New Park, county Tipperary and through this marriage the Pennefathers inherited the New Park estate. Matthew and Lavinia had three sons, Kingsmill of New Park, Matthew and William of Marlow. Succeeding generations of Pennefathers lived at New Park. Junior branches of the family settled at Ballylanigan, Knockeevan and Lakefield. Family members represented Cashel in Parliament. Lewis writes that the parish of Ballingarry was the property of Matthew Pennefather who had extensive coal mines on his estates. Matthew Pennefather held at least 5 townlands in the parish of Ballingarry at the time of Griffith's Valuation and also held land in the parishes of Ballysheehan and Erry, barony of Middlethird. K. Pennefather held land in the parish of Killenaule. At the same time William Pennefather held land in the parishes of Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh and Baptistgrange, barony of Middlethird. Parts of the unsettled estates of Mathew Pennefather of Newpark were advertised for sale in October and November 1851 amounting to over 2,500 acres and premises in Cashel. The New Park estate of 1,730 acres was advertised for sale in June 1852. In June 1861 premises in the town of Kilmallock, county Limerick, the estate of John Ryan and John Pennefather, heir at law of William Westby Pennefather were advertised for sale. In the 1870s the representatives of Kingsmill Pennefather, Liverpool owned 721 acres and Richard Pennefather of Lakefield owned 1,220 acres in county Tipperary. http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estate38.htm
Davies (New Park) When Henry Davies, a Liverpool business man, made his will dated 21 June 1856 his address was given as New Park, county Tipperary. Henry Davies was in business with his brother William and both brothers died in 1857 . In July 1864 the estate of Caroline, Mary Helena and Edith Susanna Davies at Newpark, Ballykelly and Garrankelly, Fossaghmore, amounting to over a thousand acres in county Tipperary was advertised for sale. Joseph McCan was the purchaser. [In the 1870s the representatives of Kingsmill Pennefather, Liverpool, owned 721 acres in county Tipperary].
McCan In 1864 Joseph McCan bought the New Park estate (910 acres at Ballyowen, Ballykelly and Garranhally) near Cashel in county Tipperary from the Davies family. Joseph McCan was born at Rathnally, county Meath in 1816, the son of John Henry McCan. He was a merchant and lived for some time in Australia. In the 1870s Joseph McCann of New Park is recorded as the owner of 910 acres in county Tipperary. His descendants were still resident at Ballyowen in the late 20th century. A detailed family tree can be consulted at http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/c/c/Anthony-Mccan-Co-Cork/PDFBOOK1.pdf