Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wall (Dysert)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Wall (Dysert) Gallway states that the Wall family had held property in the neighbourhood of Coolnamuck, barony of Upperthird, since 1588. Referring the 1770s Sadleir also notes James Wall as "of Coolnamuck" who died in 1810. In the 1870s Mrs.James Wall, with a Dublin address, owned over 300 acres in county Waterford. James Wall was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Dysert and Kilmoleran, barony of Upperthird and the parish of Dungarvan, barony of Decies without Drum, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Some of his lands in the parish of Mothel, barony of Upperthird, county Waterford were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in August 1850. Sir Benajmin Morris Wall held townlands in the parish of Mothel in the early 1850s. 1200 acres of the estate in the barony of Coshmore and Coshbride as well as over 2000 acres of the Tipperary estate were offered for sale in the Court in November 1850. In 1852 over 2000 acres of the Waterford and Tipperary estates were again offered for sale, including Coolnamuck.
Wall (Holycross) This family were a branch of the Walls of Coolnamuck, county Waterford. The Reverend Garrett Wall was a son of William Wall of Coolnamuck and died in 1821. His son, also named the Reverend Garrrett Wall of Holycross, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, held a number of townlands in the parish of Holycross in the mid 19th century and in the parish of Kilcornan, barony of Clanwilliam, while Dr Wall held land in the parish of Ballycahill. Garrett Wall and James W. Wall also held land in the parishes of Kilmurry and Newtownlennon, barony of Iffa and Offa East. In the 1870s the Reverend Garrett Wall of Ballingarry owned 2,437 acres in county Tipperary. The Walls purchased the Holycross estate from the Armstrongs in 1834.