Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Jones (Ardnaree)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Jones (Fortland) The estate at Fortland had originally belonged to the Browne family but had later come into the hands of the Jones family. The property was sold by Robert Jones in the Encumbered Estates Court in March 1854. The purchaser was Richard Brinkley. The sale also included lands at Ardnaree, Ballina, county Mayo and a moiety of a fishery on the river Moy.
Jones (Ardnaree) The lands of Ardnaree, parish of Kilmoremoy, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, were granted to Sir Theophilus Jones by Charles II in 1668 and members of the Jones family were settled there from the early 18th century. They leased land from Sir Arthur Gore and in the mid 19th century had lands in the parishes of Addergoole, Ballynahaglish and Kilmoremoy. In 1861 Major Thomas Jones was selling the town and lands of Ardnaree in the barony of Tireragh, county Sligo and property in the town of Ballina. In 1867 his life estate in Massbrook as well as other lands in counties Mayo and Sligo were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. The Irish Times provides a detailed report of the purchasers who included Messer. Harper Campbell and Henry Lyons of Sligo. In 1876, Thomas Jones' widow, Mrs Anne Elizabeth Jones of London, owned 2837 acres in county Mayo and 742 acres in county Sligo. Scattered throughout a large collection of solicitors' papers from the firm Longfield, Kelly and Armstrong in the National Archives are a variety of records documenting the Jones' estates.
Coyne The Coynes inherited lands in the parishes of Kilcommon and Kilmore, barony of Erris and in the parishes of Addergoole and Crossmolina, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, from the Cormack family. They leased the lands of Massbrook to the Jones family of Ardnaree. In 1876 Charles M.Coyne owned over 8000 acres in county Mayo and Bernard Coyne had another 1816 acres.
Anderson (Wood Park) The Massbrook estate, parish of Addergoole, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, was leased from John Walsh of Castlehill by the Anderson family in the 1830s. Following the Famine it became the property of Bernard and Charles Coyne who leased it to Thomas Jones.
Knox /Blake Knox (Moyne Abbey) The senior branch of the Knox family in county Mayo who were descended from William Knox of Castlereagh. In 1741 Mrs. Dorothy Knox was given a lease of Moyne Abbey in the parish of Killala, barony of Tirawley for 999 years by James O'Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley. The Knoxes leased Moyne to the Jones in the 19th century. In that century the Blake Knoxes owned an estate in the parishes of Kilconduff, Templemore and Kildacommoge, in the barony of Gallen, and in the parish of Kildacommage, barony of Carra, county Mayo. They also had some lands in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Clare, county Galway and in the parishes of Rahara, barony of Athlone and Cloonfinlough, barony and county of Roscommon. Their county Mayo agent in the 1830s was George Knipe of Carn Hill, Belturbet. In 1834 Francis Blake Knox married Jane Knipe. In the 1870s the representatives of Francis Blake Knox owned 1,337 acres in county Galway. Henry Blake Knox of Moyne Abbey and Dalkey, county Dublin, owned 4662 acres in county Mayo , while his brother, Ernest Edward Knox, owned 1074 acres in county Roscommon and their uncle, Lieutenant Colonel William Knox of Brittas Castle, Thurles, county Tipperary, owned 1352 acres in county Mayo and 993 acres in county Tipperary. Lieutenant-Colonel William Knox bought the Brittas estate from the Langley family in 1853. It was mainly located in the parish of Rahelty, barony of Eliogarty. The estate of Henry Blake Knox was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 19 Mar 1914.