Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lalor


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lalor (Cregg) A family originally established in county Laois who moved to county Tipperary in the late 17th century. John Lalor of Long Orchard and Cregg, county Tipperary married Elizabeth Doherty and had six sons. From the eldest son, Thomas, descend the Lalors of Cregg and from their third son, John, descend the Lalor and Power-Lalors of Long Orchard. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Thomas Lawlor held land in the parishes of Newtownlennon, barony of Iffa and Offa East and Brickendown, barony of Middlethird. In the 1870s his estate was comprised of 2,873 acres in county Tipperary and 527 acres in county Waterford. He died in 1890 and was succeeded by his sister's family, the Sadliers of Castleblake, county Tipperary.
Cooke (Cordangan) This branch of the Cooke family were descended from Peter Cooke, a younger brother of Thomas and Edward Cooke, who founded the Castle Cooke and Kiltinane families. Burke (1886) records that Peter purchased the castle and lands of Knockgraffon, county Tipperary from Sir Fenton Aylmer in 1687 [Thomas Lalor Cooke writes that he purchased them from Sir William Fenton, see Ms 25,297 p. 52]. His son, Joseph, married twice and had sons named John, William, Joseph, Phanuel and Peter. The eldest son, John Cooke of Cordangan, succeeded his father. Another son, Joseph of Gurranegreny, was the grandfather of Richard Cooke of Borrisoleigh, father of Thomas Lalor Cooke, family historian and Crown Solicitor of county Leix in the 1840s. Richard's wife Mary was a first cousin of Thomas Lalor of Cregg. The papers of Thomas Lalor Cooke give detailed accounts of the Lalors and Cookes and associated families. By the mid 19th century Joseph and the Reverend John Cooke both held some land in the parish of Knockgraffon, barony of Middlethird, Thomas Cooke held part of Cordangan, barony of Clanwilliam from the Smith Barrys, while Fennell (Phanuel) Cooke held land in the parishes of Buolick and Fennor, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. In January 1855 the estate of Thomas Lalor Cooke assignee of George Clarke at Denninboy, King's County (county Offaly) and at Ballycahill and Kilcleary in the barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. In the 1870s the representatives of the Reverend John Cooke, Weston-super-Mare owned 611 acres in county Tipperary. John W. Cooke of Fortwilliam, Borrisoleigh, owned 482 acres at the same time.
Lalor/Power-Lalor Jeremiah Lalor settled in county Tipperary in the mid 17th century and married Judith O'Meagher. Their son, also named Jeremiah, married a daughter of Samuel Smith of Lisduffe and this Jeremiah's son, John of Long Orchard and Cregg, married Elizabeth Doherty of Outrath. From John and Elizabeth's eldest son, Thomas, descend the Lalors of Cregg and from their third son, John, descend the Lalors of Long Orchard and Crannagh. In 1825 the male line died out in the Lalor family of Long Orchard and the property passed to Edmond James Power, second son of Edmund Power of Gurteen, county Waterford, and his wife, Anastatia Phelan Lalor of Long Orchard. Edmond assumed the additional name of Lalor and, in 1858, married Mary Frances Ryan of Inch. In 1830 his mother Anastatia married, as her second husband, Richard Lalor Sheil, Member of Parliament. Richard Lalor Shiel is recorded as holding land in the parishes of Ardmayle, barony of Middlethird, Moyne and Thurles, barony of Eliogarty and Templetuohy, barony of Ikerrin in Griffith's Valuation, while Eliza McCarthy Shiel held land in the parish of Killardry, barony of Clanwilliam. Richard Lalor Shiel also held land in the parish of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. In the 1870s Edmond James Power Lalor owned 7,311 acres in county Tipperary. The Lalor interest in the lands of Gurteen, barony of Lower Ormond, and Carrowkeale, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower was advertised for sale in November 1867.
Blue Coat School In the 1870s the Blue Coat School (now known as The King's Hospital school) owned 994 acres in county Tipperary and smaller acreages in counties Meath and Dublin. This was the townland of Nodstown, parish of Ardmayle, barony of Middlethird, and was leased to James Graham at the time of Griffith's Valuation.