Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hamilton (Co Cork & Cavan)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Nagle (Ballygriffin & Annakisha) This family are descended from James Nagle (died 1678) of Annakissy or Annakisha, near Mallow, county Cork, and his wife, Honora Nugent. They had a number of sons including Pierce of Annakisha and David of Ballygriffen. Nano Nagle, who founded the Presentation Sisters, was born at Ballygriffin in 1718. From the mid 18th century members of the Nagle family of Ballygriffin lived at Bath in England and purchased English estates at Calverleigh and Templeton. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Joseph Chichester Nagle held land in the parishes of Carrigleamleary, Castletownroche, Clenor, Glanworth, Killathy, Litter, Mallow, Monanimy and Rahan, barony of Fermoy. Joseph Chichester Nagle of Calverleigh Court, Tiverton, Devon, was the son of Charles Chichester and his wife, Mary ffrench of Rahasane, county Galway. His materal grandfather was Joseph Nagle of Ballygriffin, county Cork, and Joseph assumed the surname of Nagle in 1859. In the mid 1870s, Joseph C. Nagle owned 2,828 acres and James Nagle of Limerick owned 1,074 acres in county Cork. Pierce Nagle was the son of James Nagle and in 1790 Pierce married Christina Morrogh. [Their son] Pierce Nagle of Annakisha House also held land in the parishes of Carrigleamleary, Castletownroche and Monanimy, barony of Fermoy at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Pierce Nagle's estate of 5,422 acres in the barony of Fermoy and city of Cork including Annakisha and Mount Nagle was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1851. The Freeman's Journal reported that many of the lots were purchased by Charles Geoghegan, some in trust for the owner. The Nagles of Mount Nagle were descended from a younger son of Pierce Nagle of Annakisha. O'Connell gives detailed family histories of the different branches of the Nagle family in ''The Irish Genealogist''.
Hamilton (Cork) James Hamilton, residing in Dublin, owned over 2000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s while Rev. Hans F. Hamilton, with an address in Somerset, owned over 250 acres in county Cork as well as property in King's County. The Rev Hans Frederick Hamilton was a member of the Hamilton family of Abbotstown, near Castleknock, county Dublin. In 1669 Sir Hans Hamilton was granted lands in a number of Irish counties including 706 acres at Ballincurrigg, barony of Barrymore and 388 acres in the barony of Barretts, county Cork. Robert Hamilton was among the principal lessors in Kilbrogan parish at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
Hamilton (Cos Cork & Cavan) Part of the Nagle estate in county Cork was bought by the Hamiltons [of Castle Hamilton, county Cavan] in the early 1850s. James Hamilton was the petitioner for the sale of the Nagle estate. James Hamilton of Dublin owned 2,266 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.