Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Steele


Estate(s)

Name Description
Steele An estate in the parish of Attymas, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, owned by Sir Robert Steele and his son in the 19th century, leased to Charles Strogen.
Tuohy In the 19th century the Tuohys held lands from the Lynch Blosses and Moores of Moorehall in the parish of Ballintober, barony of Carra, and Peter Tuohy (born circa 1780) was agent to the Lynch Blosses. The Tuohys also had lands in the parish of Killedan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, which was in their possession from at least the 1830s and in the parish of Bohola which they leased from the Steeles. Patrick Tuohy, eldest son of Peter, lived at Oxford by the mid 19th century. Heaney writes that it was purchased from John Knox. Earlier in the 19th century Oxford was occupied by members of the Joyce family. In 1876 the Tuohys owned 1347 acres in county Mayo. Parts of the Tuohy estate were sold in May and July 1906 to the Congested Districts' Board.
Strogen The Strogens held Belgarrow, parish of Toomore, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, from the Evans family and lived at Dove Hall.
Orme (Ballycarron) This family of Ormes held lands in the parish of Crossmolina, barony of Tirawley and part of the Steele estate in the parish of Attymass, barony of Gallen, Co Mayo. Donohoe states that they were not related to the Owenmore family but were of French Hugenot descent.