Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fergusson (Kilmurry)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Swete Samuel Swete of Greenville, county Cork, (originally known as Kilglass, see http://www.kilmichael.org/hisodon.htm), purchased the lands of one of the McSweeneys and died in 1733. In 1791 Benjamin Swete, youngest son of Benjamin Swete of Greenville, married Thamer Swete of Bandon. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Benjamin Swete held an estate in the parishes of Kilmichael, Inchigeelagh and Kilmurry, barony of West Muskerry, county Cork. George S. Swete of Greenville, Lissarda, county Cork, was the owner of over 3000 acres in the 1870s. In November 1877 part of the fee simple estate (1,006 acres) of George Samuel Swete in the barony of West Muskerry and his life interest in Greenville (1,889 acres) were advertised for sale. The Irish Times reported that some lots were withdrawn and some sold out of court. The purchasers on the day of sale included Messers. Lombard, Hussey and Thomas K. Sullivan. See both www.ballinacurra.com/history and http://homepage.mac.com/rc.vervoorn/swete/family/index.html for more information.
Fergusson (Kilmurry) In the mid 1870s Mrs Mary Fergusson of Elm Glyn, Lissardagh, parish of Kilmurry, barony of West Muskerry, county Cork, owned 628 acres in county Cork. In July 1877 the estate of Mary Fergusson, Bingham Fergusson, Thomas Thaddeus Herley, Edward J. Fergusson and Alexander Fergusson, 625 acres at Dunmarklun, parish of Kilmurry, was advertised for sale. This townland was held under a fee farm grant of 1854, the Reverend John Swete to Montague St Leger and Mary Ferguson.