Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Green (Youghal)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Davis (Dromdihy) William Davis was agent to the Brooke estate in county Cork in the early 19th century. His son, Roger Green Davis, succeeded his father in this role. In the mid 19th century Roger Green Davis held an estate in the parishes of Ardagh, Clonpriest, Ightermurragh, Killeagh, Kilmacdonogh and Youghal, barony of Imokilly, county Cork, much of it was leased from the Brooke estate. Roger G. Davis was the petitioner for the sale of the estate of John Kidney, a minor, at Pike Park, Youghal, in September 1860 and he was the petitioner for the sale of John Joyce's estate at Ballinlough/Ballynalahagh, barony of Imokilly in 1864. The 493 acre estate of Roger Green Davis at Drumdiah, barony of Imokilly, county Cork and Railstown, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale in July 1863. Railstown and over 1,400 acres in the baronies of Imokilly and Fermoy were advertised for sale in November 1872 by the trustees and executors of Roger Green Davis, deceased. Roger Green Davis had a son, John, a barrister, and a daughter, Anne Margaret, who, in 1847, married James Butler of Waterville, county Kerry. The Butler genealogy in Burkes (1904) states that Roger Green Davis was a son of William Davis and his wife Margaret, daughter of Roger Green of Youghal. Margaret Butler of Dublin owned 527 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. At the same time the representatives of Roger Greene Davis owned 2,253 acres in county Cork. In the mid 19th century Roger G. Davis' son, John G. Davis, held five townlands in the parish of Rahan, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. [In the 1870s John Davis of Rathpeacon, Cork, owned 3,167 acres in county Cork. ]
Green (Youghal) A merchant family of Youghal, county Cork, who acquired an estate in the 19th century. Thomas Murdock Green held land in the parishes of Killeagh and Youghal, barony of Imokilly, at the time of Griffith's Valuation and was residing at Aghadoe House. Thomas M. Green died in 1864 and was buried in Killeagh cemetery. His eldest son, Captain James Matthew Green, married Margaret Bowles in 1862. In the 1870s Murdock Green of Youghal owned 1,153 acres, the Reverend William Spotswood Green of Youghal owned 572 acres and Mrs T. M. Green of Dublin owned 117 acres in county Cork.