Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Mahony (Templevally)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Uniacke ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' gives a very detailed genealogy of this family, established in the Youghal area of county Cork from the 16th century. James Uniacke, who died in 1733, purchased the Mount Uniacke (Coolegaragh) estate from James FitzGerald of Glenane, county Cork and built the house. From his eldest son, Richard, descend the Uniackes of Mount Uniacke and from his third so, the Uniackes of Castletown. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Norman Uniacke's estate was mainly in the parishes of Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon and Ardagh, Dangandonovan and Killeagh, barony of Imokilly, county Cork. At the same time Crofton Uniacke of Ballyre held land in the parish of Dangandonovan as did Robert Uniacke of Castletown. Thomas Uniacke was also one of the principal lessors in the parish of Skull at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1851, Robert Uniacke was among the principal lessors in the parish of Stradbally, barony of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford. In October 1854 the Mount Uniacke estate of 7,754 acres in the baronies of Imokilly and Kinnatalloon was advertised for sale. A note on the rentals shows that two lots were bought by Robert W.F. Uniacke. Other lots were sold in May 1855, many to a Mr. Murdock. 1,305 acres were readvertised in June 1864. In the 1870s Norman Uniacke of Mount Uniacke owned 1,559 acres and Robert Uniacke of Castletown owned 1,222 acres in county Cork. Almost 400 acres of Robert U. Fitzgerald Uniacke's estate in the barony of Imokilly was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1890. Lot 1 included Castletown House and demesne. This latter lot was sold in trust for Mr. Lincor but the sale of the remaining lots was adjourned. This family was related to the Penrose Fitzgeralds and Judkin Fitzgeralds.
O'Mahony (Templevally) William O'Mahony of Templevally held land in the parish of Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon, county Cork, in the mid 19th century. In the 1870s John O'Mahony of Templevally is recorded as the owner of 680 acres in the county and William O'Mahony, a minor, America, owned 412 acres. In January 1878 the estate of John Joseph, Ellen Mary, Eugene Patrick O'Mahony and of John J. O'Mahony as administrator "de bonis non" of William, Kate, Charles, William Henry and Frederick James O'Mahony, amounting to over 1,000 acres in the barony of Kinnattalloon, was advertised for sale. Most of the O'Mahony estate was bought by William O'Mahony from the Encumbered Estates Commissions in 1856. It was previously part of the Uniacke estate. Hajba writes that two of William's sons had to flee to America as they were implicated in the Fenian Rising.