Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Barry (Dundullerick)


Name Description
Barry (Ballynahina) This branch of the Barry family was closely linked through marriages to the Dundullerick branch. In the 1780s Philip Barry of Ballynahina married his cousin Mary Ann daughter of Edmond Barry of Rockville and Dundullerick, county Cork. Their daughter Mary Ann married James Creagh of Ballygriffin and their grandchild James William Creagh Barry purchased Dundullerick in the early 20th century. In 1830 Gerard Barry of Ballynahina married Mary Ann Fitzgerald of Springmount, county Limerick and had a son John and a daughter Emma who married William Creagh, a Mallow solicitor. John Barry married in 1880 Nora Harding and had 3 sons. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Gerard Barry held the townland of Ballynahina amounting to 890 acres. see
Barry (Dundullerick) In the mid 17th century Thomas Barry of Dundullerick, county Cork married an O'Cahill of nearby Ballyvodock Castle and from them descend the Barrys of Dundullerick, Rockville and Greenville, as detailed in ''Burke's Irish Family Records''. Members of this family such as Garret Barry and William Barry held a number of townlands in the parish of Carrigtohill at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Members of the Barry family of Greenville owned about 380 acres in the 1870s, while David Barry of Cork owned 517 acres, Richard Barry of Barry's Lodge owned 963 acres and Pierce Barry of Dundullerick owned 868 acres.
Creagh/Creagh Barry (Ballygriffen & Dundullerick) Another branch of the Creagh family descended from James Creagh of Ballygriffin, county Cork, third son of William Creagh of Shanballymore who married Sarah Nagle of Annakissy. James Creagh married Mary Anne daughter of Philip Barry of Ballinahina, county Cork and had a son Philip William Creagh who married in 1860 his cousin Anna Maria daughter of James William Barry of Dundullerick, county Cork and they were the parents of James William Creagh-Barry who bought Dundullerick from his cousin William Barry of Dundullerick and assumed the additional name of Barry. In the 1870s Philip William Creagh of Mitchelstown, Cork owned 1,141 acres in the county.