Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wingfield Stratford/Wingfield King

Family title

Viscount Powerscourt


Estate(s)

Name Description
Warren The Rinroe or Moyview estate was Wingfield property but was leased to the Warren family. McTernan notes that this family were related to the Warren family of Castlewarren, county Cork and included the noted ornithologist, Robert Warren Jun. (1828-1915).
Wingfield Stratford Edward and John Wingfield were twin brothers, sons of Richard Wingfield, 3rd Viscount Powerscourt, and his wife, Emilia Stratford, daughter of John, Earl of Aldborough. They were younger brothers of Richard, 4th Viscount Powerscourt. The family were also connected with the King family. The Wingfield family held extensive estates in various parts of the barony of Tireragh, county Sligo and in the parish of Kilgarvan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. Colonel Edward Wingfield (1771-1859) inherited from his father, Lord Powerscourt, the Scurmore estate in the barony of Tireragh, county Sligo and the Ellaghbeg estate in the barony of Gallen, county Mayo. He married Harriet Westerna and had one daughter, Harriet who married Sir William Verner. Some of the estates were sold in the late 19th century when the family seemed to reside mostly in England. Edward Richard and Avarina Jane King sold the rental interest of Knockaculleen and Carrowmable, in the barony of Tireragh, in January 1879. In 1906 the Lewis family held over 300 acres of untenanted land in Castleconor parish, barony of Tireragh. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Colonel Edward Wingfield Stratford held eight townlands in the parish of Kilshanny and two townlands in the parish of Kilfenora, barony of Corcomroe, county Clare. 842 acres in the barony of Corcomroe were granted to Folliott, Lord Viscount Powerscourt, in 1677. Stewart and Kincaid were the estate agents for Stratford's county Clare estate in the 1840s. John Blackwell of Tooreen acted as their local agent. In 1837 Smithstown in the parish of Kilshanny was recorded as a seat of Viscount Powerscourt where there were the ruins of an ancient castle. In the early 1850s John Wingfield Stratford held the Limerick estate which was located mainly in the parish of Rathronan, barony of Shanid, but also in the parishes of Kilmoylan and Shanagolden. This property was leased to Stephen Dickson in the early 1840s. In the 1870s John Wingfield Stratford, nephew of Colonel Edward, owned 6555 acres in county Sligo, 2361 acres in county Mayo, 2213 acres in county Clare, 2502 acres in county Limerick, 201 acres in county Wicklow and 2 acres in Dublin city. For the county Limerick estate see http://www.ucd.ie/economics/research/papers/2001/WP01.22.pdf
Atkinson (Sallymount) Lewis Atkinson held Sallymount, parish of Kilgarvan, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, from the Wingfield family of Scurmore and Moyview, county Sligo.
Stratford (Aldborough) The Earl of Aldborough held lands in Killerry parish, barony of Tirerrill, county Sligo, which seem to have been leased by the Cooper estate and in the parish of Kilmoremoy, county Mayo. The Wingfield family owned extensive property in the parishes of Castleconor and Kilmoremoy, barony of Tireragh and Kilmacteige, barony of Leyny, at the time of Griffith's valuation. The property of the two families was united in 1801 when John Wingfield inherited the estate of his mother's brother, Edward Stratford, 2nd Earl of Aldborough. In 1854 5,450 acres of the Earl of Aldborough's estates in counties Sligo and Leitrim were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court. The sale notice indicates that these lands were originally the Earl's share of the lands known as the Manor of Ballintogher. Previously in 1850/1851 the estates of the Earl of Aldborough in the counties of Carlow, Tipperary, Dublin and Limerick were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court, the county Limerick estate in the barony of Smallcounty amounted to 1,837 acres while the county Tipperary estate was comprised of 2,035 acres situated in the parishes of Kilbragh and Railstown, barony of Middlethird. Lewis writes in 1837 that the parish of Ballinlough, county Limerick was the joint property of the Earls of Sandwich and Aldborough. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Earl of Aldborough held the townland of Cromwell, parish of Ballinlough, barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick. At the same time the Stratfords are recorded as holding land in the parish of Mora, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, which was leased to John O'Meagher.