Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Parker (Green Park)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Uniacke ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' gives a very detailed genealogy of this family, established in the Youghal area of county Cork from the 16th century. James Uniacke, who died in 1733, purchased the Mount Uniacke (Coolegaragh) estate from James FitzGerald of Glenane, county Cork and built the house. From his eldest son, Richard, descend the Uniackes of Mount Uniacke and from his third so, the Uniackes of Castletown. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Norman Uniacke's estate was mainly in the parishes of Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon and Ardagh, Dangandonovan and Killeagh, barony of Imokilly, county Cork. At the same time Crofton Uniacke of Ballyre held land in the parish of Dangandonovan as did Robert Uniacke of Castletown. Thomas Uniacke was also one of the principal lessors in the parish of Skull at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1851, Robert Uniacke was among the principal lessors in the parish of Stradbally, barony of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford. In October 1854 the Mount Uniacke estate of 7,754 acres in the baronies of Imokilly and Kinnatalloon was advertised for sale. A note on the rentals shows that two lots were bought by Robert W.F. Uniacke. Other lots were sold in May 1855, many to a Mr. Murdock. 1,305 acres were readvertised in June 1864. In the 1870s Norman Uniacke of Mount Uniacke owned 1,559 acres and Robert Uniacke of Castletown owned 1,222 acres in county Cork. Almost 400 acres of Robert U. Fitzgerald Uniacke's estate in the barony of Imokilly was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1890. Lot 1 included Castletown House and demesne. This latter lot was sold in trust for Mr. Lincor but the sale of the remaining lots was adjourned. This family was related to the Penrose Fitzgeralds and Judkin Fitzgeralds.
Parker (Green Park) In 1779 John Robert Parker of Green Park, Youghal, county Cork married Catherine Uniacke of Kermincham Hall, Chester, and had 11 children. Catherine was the eldest daughter of John Uniacke of Cottage, county Cork and his wife Frances Mainwaring of Kermincham. Their third son Roger Mainwaring Parker assumed the name Mainwaring following the death of his great uncle John Mainwaring. Henry Parker, second son of John Robert and Catherine was a captain in the Royal Navy and married Lady Frances Theophila Anne daughter of the 11th Earl of Huntington. Their eldest son John Robert Theophilus Hastings Parker married Elizabeth Randall of Swannington Hall, Norwich. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Captain Henry Parker held land in the parish of Knockmourne, barony of Kinnatalloon, county Cork. In July 1851 the fee simple estate of Henry Parker, John R.T.H. Parker, Henry Francis Hastings Parker and others in the counties of Cork and Waterford was advertised for sale. It amounted to 22 lots and contained approximately 12,000 acres in the two counties. Further lands in counties Waterford and Cork belonging to Henry Parker were offered for sale in July 1852 including Cherrymount, county Waterford [possibly bought by the Thackwells]. http://www.thornber.net/cheshire/htmlfiles/peover.html James Parker was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilwatermoy, barony of Coshmore & Coshbride, county Waterford, in 1851. Captain Henry Parker held townlands in the parishes of Tallow and Templemichael at the same time. Rev. John Frederick Parker was the owner of over 1200 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s. The Irish Times reported that he had purchased an estate formerly owned by William Jubb in the barony of Decies-without-Drum in 1871.
Thackwell The former Roche estate at Aghada came into the possession of the Thackwell family in the second half of the 19th century. The Thackwells were related to the Roche family of Trabolgan. In the 1870s Major Joseph Edward Lucas Thackwell of Aghada House, Whitegate, owned 873 acres in county Cork and 280 acres in county Waterford. Lady Thackwell is recorded as the owner of over 450 acres in Waterford at the same time.
L'Estrange (Cork) In the 1870s Hilary F. L'Estrange of Clifton, Bristol, owned 936 acres in county Cork. ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' records Hilary Frederick L'Estrange of Conna, Fermoy, county Cork, [parish of Knockmourne, barony of Kinnatalloon], fifth son of Thomas L'Estrange, a descendant of Thomas Le Strange of Castle Strange, county Roscommon. The lands of Conna were in the possession of Captain Henry Parker at the time of Griffith's Valuation and may have been purchased by L'Estrange in the Encumbered Estates Court. Hilary F. L'Estrange married Mary Mulock in 1831 and they had one son the Reverend Alfred L'Estrange of Conna, who died unmarried in 1915.