Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Nagle (Ballygriffin & Annakisha)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ffrench (Rahasane) In 1675 the ffrenches bought the lands of Cummer and Drumgriffin in the barony of Clare which had been granted to the Legge family, later Earls of Dartmount, under the Acts of Settlement. Through his mother Elizabeth Nagle of county Cork, Robert J. Ffrench inherited some of the Nagle property in the barony of Fermoy, county Cork. In 1824 Robert Joseph French of Rahasane is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway but later in the 19th century the ffrench family of Rahasane became indebted to the Smyth family who later purchased large portions of the Rahasane estate, including those in the parish of Cummer.
Chichester Charles Raleigh Chichester, a grandson of Charles Chichester of Calverleigh Court, county Devon and Mary Honoria ffrench of Rahasane, county Galway, married Mary, eldest daughter and co heiress of James Balfe of Runnamoat, county Roscommon. In the mid 1850s the Chichesters held an estate in the parish of Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe, county Roscommon, which in the 1870s amounted to 2,306 acres. The Chichester's eldest son, Walter George Raleigh Chichester, succeeded to the Irish estates of his mother and also to the Burton Constable estate, Yorkshire and in 1894 he took the name Constable by royal licence. In 1883 Esther Chichester, daughter of Colonel Charles Raleigh Chichester married Stephen Grehan of Clonmeen, county Cork. The Grehan Papers contain references to the Chichesters.
Nagle (Ballygriffin & Annakisha) This family are descended from James Nagle (died 1678) of Annakissy or Annakisha, near Mallow, county Cork, and his wife, Honora Nugent. They had a number of sons including Pierce of Annakisha and David of Ballygriffen. Nano Nagle, who founded the Presentation Sisters, was born at Ballygriffin in 1718. From the mid 18th century members of the Nagle family of Ballygriffin lived at Bath in England and purchased English estates at Calverleigh and Templeton. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Joseph Chichester Nagle held land in the parishes of Carrigleamleary, Castletownroche, Clenor, Glanworth, Killathy, Litter, Mallow, Monanimy and Rahan, barony of Fermoy. Joseph Chichester Nagle of Calverleigh Court, Tiverton, Devon, was the son of Charles Chichester and his wife, Mary ffrench of Rahasane, county Galway. His materal grandfather was Joseph Nagle of Ballygriffin, county Cork, and Joseph assumed the surname of Nagle in 1859. In the mid 1870s, Joseph C. Nagle owned 2,828 acres and James Nagle of Limerick owned 1,074 acres in county Cork. Pierce Nagle was the son of James Nagle and in 1790 Pierce married Christina Morrogh. [Their son] Pierce Nagle of Annakisha House also held land in the parishes of Carrigleamleary, Castletownroche and Monanimy, barony of Fermoy at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Pierce Nagle's estate of 5,422 acres in the barony of Fermoy and city of Cork including Annakisha and Mount Nagle was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1851. The Freeman's Journal reported that many of the lots were purchased by Charles Geoghegan, some in trust for the owner. The Nagles of Mount Nagle were descended from a younger son of Pierce Nagle of Annakisha. O'Connell gives detailed family histories of the different branches of the Nagle family in ''The Irish Genealogist''.
Creagh (Ballygarrett) This branch of the Creagh family are descended from William Creagh, a brother of John Creagh of Killowen, county Cork. William Creagh of Old Town, Shanballymore, county Cork, married Sarah Nagle of Annakissy. In 1803 their son Pierce Creagh [of Rockforest Cottage] married Isabella Leeson and had a son William Creagh of Ballygarrett. William Creagh held land in the parish of Clonmeen, barony of Duhallow and Clenor and Mallow, barony of Fermoy in the early 1850s. In the 1870s William Creagh of Ballygarrett owned 1,124 acres in county Cork.
Hennessy (Ballymacmoy) A family who were established at Ballymacmoy, Killavullen, county Cork, by the mid 18th century. One branch of the family settled at Cognac in France and produced Hennessy brandy. The Hennessys held land from the Nagles in the parish of Monanimy, county Cork and a collection of archives in the James Hardiman Library, NUI, Galway, document a legal case 1771-1831 between the Hennessys and the ffrenches of Rahasane, county Galway, who had inherited some of the Nagle lands. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Hennessy held at least three townlands in the parish of Monanimy. The Hennessy estate amounted to 863 acres in the 1870s.
Hamilton (Cos Cork & Cavan) Part of the Nagle estate in county Cork was bought by the Hamiltons [of Castle Hamilton, county Cavan] in the early 1850s. James Hamilton was the petitioner for the sale of the Nagle estate. James Hamilton of Dublin owned 2,266 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.