Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Martin (Clifford)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Beatty (Clifford) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Beatty of Heathfield, county Wexford, held at least four townlands in the parish of Bridgetown, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. This property was probably leased by the Martins to Edward Beatty. Elizabeth Martin was married to David Beatty of Borodale, county Wexford, a brother of Edward Beatty. Hussey records David Beatty of Borodale, Enniscorthy, county Wexford, owning land in counties Wexford, Wicklow and Cork. The county Cork lands were valued at £300. In April 1879 the 722 acre estate of Edward Beatty deceased in the barony of Fermoy was advertised for sale by trustees. The estate was held on various leases from the Roberts family. http://webspace.webring.com/people/pr/richardhemery/newpage3.htm
Martin (Clifford) A Worcestershire family who came to Ireland at the beginning of the 16th century, who settled at first in county Armagh. At the end of the 17th century the Martins acquired land in counties Cork and Kerry and in the city of Cork. In 1743 Henry Martin, a Cork merchant, married Elizabeth de la Cour and in 1773 their eldest son, Richard, married Catherine Roberts of Bridgetown. This couple resided at Clifford and in 1795 their only child, Mary, married John Southcote Mansergh of Grenane, county Tipperary. Elizabeth Martin who married David Beatty of Borodale, county Wexford, was a niece of Richard Martin. John Martin, a younger brother of Richard Martin, lived at Blackrock, county Cork. His third son, Aylmer Richard Martin, was High Sheriff of Cork in 1831. He married Henrietta O'Donoghue of Cork. The estate of Henrietta Martin, widow, comprised of dwelling houses and premises in Cork city was advertised for sale in June 1853.
Mansergh (Grenane) The Manserghs, originally from Barwicke Hall, Yorkshire, settled at Macrony Castle, near Fermoy in county Cork in the mid 17th century. Through marriage with a Southcote heiress they inherited Grenane, county Tipperary in the early 18th century. In 1795 John Southcote Mansergh of Grenane married Mary, only daughter and heiress of Richard Martin of Clifford, county Cork. Their third son, Charles Carden Mansergh of Clifford, Castletownroche, county Cork, owned over a thousand acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Their fourth son, John Craven Mansergh, built a house called Rocksavage, Bridgetown Upper, parish of Bridgetown, on former Martin property. Their fifth son, Southcote Mansergh of Grallagh Castle, owned 1,099 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. His estate was advertised for sale in July 1875. Their second son and heir, Richard Martin Southcote Mansergh of Grenane, owned 2,086 acres in county Tipperary at the same time. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard S. Mansergh held a number of townlands in the parishes of Donohill, Templenoe and Tipperary, barony of Clanwilliam. Most of the land in the parish of Templenoe was held from Lady Osborne. Other family members held land in the parishes of Templenoe and Cullen, barony of Clanwilliam, Knigh and Neanagh, barony of Lower Ormond and Gaile, barony of Middlethird. Another branch of this family were based in the Cashel area of county Tipperary. Captain D.J. Mansergh of Cappamore, Cashel, owned 606 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Substantial amounts of the Grallagh estate were sold in the Landed Estates Court in the mid-1870s. The purchasers included Messers. Cahill, Carey and Hughes. http://www.manserghclan.com/history.html