A Worcestershire family who came to Ireland at the beginning of the 16th century, who settled at first in county Armagh. At the end of the 17th century the Martins acquired land in counties Cork and Kerry and in the city of Cork. In 1743 Henry Martin, a Cork merchant, married Elizabeth de la Cour and in 1773 their eldest son, Richard, married Catherine Roberts of Bridgetown. This couple resided at Clifford and in 1795 their only child, Mary, married John Southcote Mansergh of Grenane, county Tipperary. Elizabeth Martin who married David Beatty of Borodale, county Wexford, was a niece of Richard Martin. John Martin, a younger brother of Richard Martin, lived at Blackrock, county Cork. His third son, Aylmer Richard Martin, was High Sheriff of Cork in 1831. He married Henrietta O'Donoghue of Cork. The estate of Henrietta Martin, widow, comprised of dwelling houses and premises in Cork city was advertised for sale in June 1853.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Martin, 17 June 1853, Vol 21 (40), MRGS 39/010, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Box of wills and settlement papers relating to the real and personal estate of Ven. Charles John Martin and Rev. Henry F. J. Martin, successive Rectors of Killeshandra, Co. Cavan, relating to lands in Cork City, the barony of Fermoy, Co. Cork, the barony of Carigallen, Co. Leitrim, shares in the Dublin-Kingstown Railway Company, etc. 1843-1907. D3480/28; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
- Irish Tourist Association Files, Parish of Castletownroche; Cork County Library
Contemporary printed sources
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 109
- TOWNSEND, Horatio. ''Statistical survey of the county of Cork...'' Dublin: Royal Dublin Society, 1810: 520 (Clifford)