Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Conner (Manch)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Connor (Ballybricken) In March 1702 Daniel Connor of Bandon Bridge, county Cork, merchant, bought 744 acres at Curryleagh and Polerick, barony of Muskerry, formerly part of the estate of Justin McCarthy and the castle and lands of Mashannaglass, barony of Muskerry, formerly part of the Clancarty estate. His third son, George, settled at Ballybricken and had a son, Daniel who in 1779 married Mary, eldest daughter of Kingsmill Pennefather. At the time of Griffith's Valuation their descendant, Daniel Conner, held land in the parishes of Kilmurry, barony of West Muskerry and Aghinagh, Kilbonane, Moviddy, Ballinaboy and Matehy, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. Daniel Connor was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilmocomoge and Skull, West Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Over 180 acres in the parish of Kilnagross, barony of East Carbery, the property of Henry Connor, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1865. In January 1866 an estate of over 14,000 acres in the baronies of West and East Carbery, West and East Muskerry, Barretts and Kerricurrihy, belonging to Daniel Conner, was advertised for sale. Most of it was held in fee. The representatives of Daniel Connor, no address given, held 826 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. At the same time, Captain Daniel Connor, of Ballybricken, Ringaskiddy, owned over 1,362 acres.
Conner (Bandon) Burke indicates that this Conner family were settled in county Cork since the end of the seventeenth century. Other branches of the family later became established at Manch and Ballybricken. Daniel Conner was agent for the Duke of Devonshire's Cork estates in the mid 18th century. In the 1870s, Capt. William R, Connor of Bandon owned over 1900 acres in county Cork. Rev. Richard Lane Connor owned over 250 acres. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, he was among the principal lessors in the parish of Caheragh, barony of West Carbery.
Conner (Manch) Burke indicates that the Conners first settled in the town of Bandon in the late seventeenth century and married into the Splaine family. MacLysaght, in his preface to the 1944 report on the Connor papers, recorded the belief that this family were descended from the O'Conner Kerry. Daniel Connor of Manch, Ballineen, owned over 4000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. In 1851, he was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Fanlobbus and Kilmichael, barony of East Carbery. In July 1852, over 4200 acres of his property was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. According to Burke the family are associated with the Ballineen area since the late seventeenth century and occupied a house named Connorville in the eighteenth century. In the 1870s Daniel Conner of Manch House owned 4,194 acres in county Cork.