Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Warren (Passage)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Warren The Rinroe or Moyview estate was Wingfield property but was leased to the Warren family. McTernan notes that this family were related to the Warren family of Castlewarren, county Cork and included the noted ornithologist, Robert Warren Jun. (1828-1915).
Warren (Warren's Court) Robert Warren, an army officer, established himself in the East Carberry area of county Cork in the mid 17th century. In May 1703 his son Wallis Warren bought Kilbarry now known as Warren's Court. It was part of the confiscated estate of the Earl of Clancarty. In 1699 Wallis Warren also bought East and West Curryclogh from Henry, Earl of Romney [enrolled 1703]. His grandson, Robert Warren of Warren's Court and Crookstown House, county Cork, was created a baronet in 1784. The Warrens of Codrum and Crookstown are descended from younger sons of the first marriage of the 1st Baronet. John Borlase Warren, later 4th Baronet, held 1700 acres in the townland of Sillahertane, barony of Iveragh, from the Orpen family in the early part of the nineteenth century. Over 10,000 acres of the estate of Adrian Taylor, in which members of the Orpen and Warren families had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in May 1855. Sir Augustus Warren's estate in county Kerry in the 1870s amounted to over 8700 acres. His estate in county Cork amounted to 7,787 acres at the same time and was located in the barony of West Muskerry parishes of Kilmichael, Ballinadee, Clondrohid, Inchigeelagh, Kilmurry and Macroom, the parishes of Cannaway and Moviddy, barony of East Muskerry and the parish of Murragh, barony of Kinalmeaky. His brothers, Captain Warren of Passage, Cork and Robert Warren of Ashgrove, owned a further 1,477 and 530 acres respectively and other family members had smaller amounts. Henry E. Warren, a grandson of the 1st Baronet, was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmoe, West Carbery at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Over 700 acres in the barony of Barretts, the property of Massy Hutchinson Warren, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, in April 1854. Lands at Cloonvickavrick, barony of Muskerry, leased to the Webb family in 1717, were advertised for sale in April 1877, the estate of the Reverend John Webb.
Warren (Passage) The rental of over 1500 acres, owned by Robert Warren was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in October 1850. This included Castlewarren and lands in the barony of East Carbery. Other property, including house and lands at Knockmacool were offered for sale in May 1851. William B. Warren, with others, was the principal lessor in the parishes of Carrigaline and Barnahely at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Edward R. Warren held townlands in the parish of Kilpatrick in the same barony. Capt. Warren, of Passage, owned over 1400 acres in county Cork in the 1870s, with other family owning lessor amounts.