Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Duggan (Kilmeen)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cronin (Park) The Cronins, descended from a Gaelic family, appear to have been settled in the Killarney area since at least the early 18th century. The estate amounted to over 10,000 acres in Kerry by the 1870s following Daniel Cronin’s inheriting of the Coltsmann (Flesk Castle) estate in the mid-19th century. The representatives of Henry M. Cronin were the proprietors of over 700 acres at the same time. In 1854, over 7000 acres of this estate, in which members of the Coltsmann and Godfrey families also had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Purchasers of lots included Denis Shine Lawlor, The McGillycuddy and Dr. Maybury as well as lands purchased in trust. Further property, mostly in county Cork, was offered for sale in October of the same year. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Daniel Cronin was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Killaha, Kilnanare and Nohavaldaly, county Kerry, as well as the parish of Kilmocomoge, barony of Bantry, county Cork. His sister, Christina Duggan, formerly Cronin, was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilnanare, Molahiffe and Nohavaldaly, barony of Magunihy, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. In the 1870s she was the proprietor of over 700 acres in county Kerry. For over a century the Cronins had a lease from the Crown of lands in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. When the lease expired in the early 1830s the property was placed in the care of the Commissioners of Woods and Forests.
Duggan (Kilmeen) The Duggans were established at Mount Infant, parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork in the early 18th century. Daniel Duggan supported the Jacobite cause in the 1690s and from him descend Daniel and Henry Duggan. Daniel had a son Denis who married in 1756 Frances Galwey of Enniskeane and their son Daniel succeeded to the estate of his great uncle Daniel Cronin at Park, Killarney, county Kerry. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Duggan held at least 7 townlands in the parish of Kilmeen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, while Arthur Duggan held land in the parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow. In the 1870s Henry Duggan of Monkstown, owned 1,592 acres and Daniel Duggan of Dublin owned 533 acres in county Cork.