Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fenton


Estate(s)

Name Description
Kirkwood (Glencarha) The Kirkwoods owned an estate in the parish of Kilgarven, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. In 1876 John Townsend Kirkwood of Cheltenham, England, owned 8345 acres in county Mayo and 444 acres in county Sligo. By March 1916 the Kirkwoods had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of over 4,000 acres of their estate. The Board also acquired the Sligo estate.
Lougheed William Black Lougheed purchased the Fenton estate at Dromore West in the later 19th century. He is also recorded as the owner of land in county Leitrim in the 1870s. A William Browne Lougheed is listed as the occupier of property in Dromore townland, barony of Tireragh, in 1906, including the mansion house. The family also held property in the barony of Tirerrill and leased Rockbrook from the Martin estate.