Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Evans (Kilbolane)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Evans (Ash Hill Towers) A branch of the Evans family, Barons Carberys, descended from Thomas Evans of Miltown Castle, county Cork, Member of Parliament for Castlemartyr, who, in 1721, married Mary Waller of county Limerick. Their eldest son, Eyre of Milltown Castle, married a county Limerick heiress, Mary Williams, and their eldest son was Eyre Evans of Ash Hill Towers. Their second son, Reverend Thomas Waller Evans, was ancestor of the Evans of Knockaderry, county Limerick. Most of the estate of this family was in county Cork. In December 1858 over 900 acres in the baronies of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork and Pubblebrien, county Limerick, part of the estate of Elystan Eyre Evans, a minor, were advertised for sale, by his guardians. Another sale of parts of E.E. Evans estate in the baronies of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork, Coshlea, county Limerick and Granard, county Longford was advertised in June 1860. These lots were sold to Mr. Cagney and G.F. Ralph. Elystan Eyre Evans of Ash Hill Towers owned 2,148 acres in county Cork and 264 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. Over 500 acres in counties Cork and Limerick including Ashhill Towers and demesne were advertised for sale in June 1877. The sale of many of these lots was adjourned due to insufficient bidding but some lots were sold in trust.
Bruce (Milltown Castle) A Scottish family who settled in the Bandon area of county Cork in the mid 17th century. Milltown Castle came into their possession through the 1752 marriage of George Bruce and Mary Evans niece of the 1st Lord Carbery. At the time of Griffith's Valuation members of the Bruce family held lands in the county Limerick parishes of St Nicholas, barony of Clanwilliam, Oola, barony of Coonagh and Effin, barony of Coshlea and in the county Cork parishes of Kilmeen and Kilbrin, barony of Duhallow and Shandrum, barony of Orrery and Kilmore. In May 1863 a farm and premises at Ballybane, barony of Duhallow, the estate of Lewis Charles Bruce continued in the name of Eyre Evans Bruce was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Jonathon Bruce of Miltown Castle owned 454 acres in county Limerick, 440 acres in county Cork and 25 acres in county Tipperary.
Evans (Kilbolane) At the time of Griffith's Valuation George and John Evans owned an estate comprised of at least 13 townlands in the parish of Kilbolane, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. George and John Evans (of the Evans family of Miltown Castle) were nephews of George Evans Bruce who purchased the Kilbolane estate from the Cole Bowens in the late 18th century. This purchase led to much litigation between the Bowens and Evans in the 19th century. G.E. Bruce left his Kilbolane estate to his two nephews as joint tenants and died in 1837. In the 1870s Admiral George Evans and Captain John Evans both of England, owned 2,962 acres in county Cork. see Cases in the House of Lords - Bowen v Evans 1848
Barry (Kilbolane) Burke's "Landed Gentry of Ireland" (1904) states that four generations of Barrys had been in possession of the Kilbolane estate, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork. William H. Barry offered 146 acres in this barony for sale in the Landed Esates Court in March 1865. It was bought by Edward Naddil of county Kilkenny. In the 1870s Edward R.C. Barry of Kilbolane Castle, owned 306 acres in the county.