Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McCarthy-O'Leary


Estate(s)

Name Description
McCarthy (Cork) Alexander McCarthy was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilgarvan, barony of Glanarought, county Kerry, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He also held land in the county Cork parishes of Bregoge, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, Kilmichael, barony of West Muskerry and St Finbarrs, barony of Cork. Florence McCarthy also held land in the parishes of Clonpriest and Kilmacdonogh, barony of Imokilly. The estate of Alexander McCarthy, of Cork, amounted to almost 3000 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s as well as over 1000 acres in county Cork. Alexander McCarthy (1803-1868) was a barrister and Member of Parliament for Cork city and the county at various times. He was a cousin of the McCarthy O'Learys.
McCarthy-O'Leary By the mid 18th century the O'Learys were established at Coomlogane, in the parish of Drishane, in the Millstreet area of county Cork. Helen, the only child of the O'Leary of Millstreet, married, as his second wife, Denis McCarthy of Glynn, county Cork, a descendant of the McCarthys of Drishane and Dooneen. Denis and Helen McCarthy had no children but she left her estate to her stepson, Denis McCarthy, on condition that he take the name O'Leary. In 1812 Denis McCarthy O'Leary married Leonora Howley of Richill, county Limerick and their descendants continued to reside at Coologane until the early 20th century. In the 1870s the McCarthy O'Leary estate amounted to 5,896 acres. In 1788 Denis McCarthy leased almost 1,000 acres from Dowman, Harman and Phillips in the barony of Duhallow. Part of the fee simple of these lands was advertised for sale in January 1862. J. McCarthy O'Leary was the lease holder.
Dowman Jane Dowman held a townland in the parish of Killanully, barony and county of Cork from Sir George Pigott in the mid 19th century. The fee simple of a third of an undivided moiety of 998 acres in the barony of Duhallow, county Cork, was advertised for sale in January 1862 by Major General James Whylock, trustee of the will of James Dowman. J. McCarthy O'Leary held the lease as representative of Denis McCarthy to whom the lands were leased in 1788 by Dowman, Harman and Phillips. The Irish Times reported that the property was sold to Mr. O'Leary for £850.