Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dowman

Jane Dowman held a townland in the parish of Killanully, barony and county of Cork from Sir George Pigott in the mid 19th century. The fee simple of a third of an undivided moiety of 998 acres in the barony of Duhallow, county Cork, was advertised for sale in January 1862 by Major General James Whylock, trustee of the will of James Dowman. J. McCarthy O'Leary held the lease as representative of Denis McCarthy to whom the lands were leased in 1788 by Dowman, Harman and Phillips. The Irish Times reported that the property was sold to Mr. O'Leary for £850.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Willsfort Ballinvuskig Killanully Cork Douglas 98 Cork Cork OSI Ref: W691 673
OS Sheet: 86
Discovery map: 87

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Whylock, Dowman, (Claragh etc), 14 Jan 1862, Vol 64 (6), MRGS 39/032, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Sarsfield Papers include leases and mortgages relating to premises in Cork City, mainly St. Peter's parish; principal parties, Thomas Boland, George Dowman, William Norris, John Sullivan; 1702-64. D. 26,074-79 ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources