Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Leader (Keale)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Leader (Mount Leader & Dromagh Castle) The senior branch of the Leader family descended from Henry Leader who bought estates in county Cork at the end of the 17th century. In 1741 his third son, Henry, married Christabella, eldest daughter of William Philpot of Dromagh, county Cork. Post 1760 their second son, William, bought Mount Leader from his cousin, John Leader. William's son, Nicholas Philpot Leader, married Margaret, daughter and co heiress of Andrew Nash of Nashville or Rosnalee, county Cork. This marriage brought another property into the possession of the Leader family. By the time of Griffith's Valuation Nicholas Philpott Leader II, Member of Parliament for county Cork 1865-1868, held the Dromagh Castle estate in the parishes of Drumtarriff and Kilbrin, barony of Duhallow. Lewis writes that Nicholas Leader had extensive and valuable "colliers" at Dromagh and Dysert. In the 1870s Nicholas P. Leader's Dromagh Castle estate amounted to 5,632 acres. He died a bachelor in 1880. The widow of his brother William of Rosnalee owned 5,586 acres in the 1870s and her son, William Nicholas Leader, succeeded to Dromagh Castle. He died without heirs in 1931 and Dromagh and Rosnalee were acquired by the Land Commission from his grand nephew. Nicholas P. Leader's younger brother, Henry, inherited Mount Leader from their father. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Leader is recorded as one of principal lessors in the parishes of Cullen, barony of Duhallow, Ballyvourney, Clondrohid, Drishane, barony of West Muskerry and Henry Leader also held land in the parishes of Mourneabbey, barony of Barretts, Castletownroche, barony of Fermoy, Youghal, barony of Imokilly. In the 1870s Henry E. Leader of Mount Leader owned 1,597 acres, Henry Leader of Clonmoyle (son of Nicholas P. Leader) owned 2,418 acres, John Leader of Queenstown owned 1,130 acres and William Leader of Western Road, Cork owned 951 acres in county Cork. In June 1877 the estate of the trustees of the marriage settlement of Henry Leader and Sarah Woodcock (in 1835) and of a family settlement of 1866, amounting to 2,651 acres in the baronies of Duhallow and Muskerry, was advertised for sale. This estate was held from Baron Lisle and from the Reverend Edward Hatch Hoare. The Irish Times gave details of the purchasers, who included some of the existing tenants. Henry Leader's interest in the lands of Clonmoyle East, barony of East Muskerry, Castlewidenham and Ballygarrett, barony of Fermoy, was advertised for sale in November 1882 and his interest in the lands of Fermoyle, barony of Duhallow in July 1883.
Leader (Keale) A junior branch of the Leader family of county Cork, sharing a common ancestry with the Leaders of Mount Leader. Early generations married members of the Radley family. John Leader was living at Keale, Millstreet, by the beginning of the 18th century and his descendants continued to live at Keale until the property was sold in the early 20th century. The estate was situated in the parishes of Kilmeen and Cullen, barony of Duhallow and amounted to 1,396 acres in the 1870s. Benjamin and Leonard Leader held land in the parishes of Cullen, barony of Duhallow and Clondrohid, barony of West Muskerry in the early 1850s.
Radley Griffith's Valuation records the representatives of R.B. Radley holding land in the parish of Aghabulloge, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. In April 1853 the lands of Ughtiherrymore and Ughtiherrybeg, barony of East Muskerry, the estate of Richard Henry Radley were advertised for sale. Further lands belonging to Richard H. Radley at Upper and Lower Knockrour, barony of East Muskerry were offered for sale in October 1858. These lands were bought from the Court by Robert Harnett in 1859 and were advertised for sale again by Richard Harnett in 1876. The estate of John Barry of Knockrour, 102 acres at Oughtihery, barony of East Muskerry, was advertised for sale in November 1859. An Australian great granddaughter of Richard H. Radley has put together an extensive family history of the Radley family and many related families which can be accessed at http://www.radleysofcork.bigpondhosting.com/ The Radleys came to Ireland from Somerset