Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Keeffe


Estate(s)

Name Description
O'Keeffe The O'Keeffes were an old Irish family, long established in the Kanturk area of county Cork. The O'Keeffe estate was in the parishes of Clonfert and Drumtarriff, barony of Duhallow, county Cork at the time of Griffith's Valuation. They held their estate from the Aldworth family. In the 1870s Charles O'Keeffe medical doctor of Mount Keeffe, Newmarket, owned 1,409 acres in the county. Lands in the barony of Duhallow, the estate of Arthur O'Keefe deceased, were advertised for sale in July 1862. The original leases were to Charles McCarthy of Scagh. http://www.iol.ie/~kevnilse/eoghangf.html
Lanigan/Lanigan-O'Keeffe John Lanigan (1800-1868) of Glenaguile, Nenagh, county Tipperary, Member of Parliament, married Frances daughter of Charles O'Keeffe of Richmond, county Tipperary and granddaughter of Cornelius O'Keeffe Member of Parliament. John was the son of Stephen Lanigan and he became a barrister. His eldest son Stephen Martin Lanigan assumed the additional name of O'Keeffe in 1895. In the mid 19th century members of the Lanigan family held land in the parishes of Newtownlennon and Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh, Aghnameadle and Latteragh, barony of Upper Ormond and Templemore, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Stephen M. Lanigan of Glenaguill owned 1,639 acres in county Tipperary. There is no substanial house marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map for the townland of Glenaguile in the parishes of Aghnameadle and Latteragh. John Lanigan held the townland from the Honourable Mrs Otway Cave at the time of Griffith's Valuation. No house in the townland was rated at £3 or more for valuation purposes.
O'Keeffe (Templemore) Dixon C. O'Keeffe (son of Cornelius of Richmond, Thurles) and Alicia O'Keeffe held a mortgage on the lands of Francis O'Brien at Thurles, county Tipperary in the 1840s (''The Irish Jurist'' Vol 9 page 98). At the time of Griffith's Valuatin Dixon O'Keefe held land in the parishes of Holycross, Inch and Loughmoe East, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Dixon C. O'Keeffe of Killoran, Templemore, owned 944 acres in county Tipperary.