Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Keeffe

The O'Keeffes were an old Irish family, long established in the Kanturk area of county Cork. The O'Keeffe estate was in the parishes of Clonfert and Drumtarriff, barony of Duhallow, county Cork at the time of Griffith's Valuation. They held their estate from the Aldworth family. In the 1870s Charles O'Keeffe medical doctor of Mount Keeffe, Newmarket, owned 1,409 acres in the county. Lands in the barony of Duhallow, the estate of Arthur O'Keefe deceased, were advertised for sale in July 1862. The original leases were to Charles McCarthy of Scagh. http://www.iol.ie/~kevnilse/eoghangf.html

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Mount Keeffe Mountkeeffe Clonfert Kanturk Newmarket 183 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: R325 094
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 72
Dromagh Castle Dromagh Dromtarriff Kanturk Rosnalee 157 Duhallow Cork OSI Ref: W335 980
OS Sheet: 30
Discovery map: 79
Spitalfields Spital Buttevant Mallow Buttevant 237 Orrery and Kilmore Cork OSI Ref: R547 105
OS Sheet: 17
Discovery map: 73

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), O’Keefe, 10 July 1862, Vol 66 (42), MRGS 39/033, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • British Records Association Deposit (1950) included leases of lands in barony of Duhallow from members of the Dickson & Boyle (Earl of Shannon) families to members of the Freeman, Carthy, Foote, MacGhee, Keeffe, Boyle, Purdon, Allen, Purcell, Pike, Creagh, Wrixon, Longfield, Holmes, Fitzgerald, Purdon, Trant,, Delaney, Herrick, Reilly, Leader & Barry families, 1715-1857. Small Accs. Index 102; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources