Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Chinnery

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Deane Matthew Deane came to Ireland in the mid 17th century and purchased lands in county Cork. He was made a baronet in 1709. In 1775 his descendant, Sir Robert Tilson Deane, (created Baron Muskerry in 1781), married Anne, sole heir to her grandfather John Fitzmaurice of Springfield Castle, county Limerick. John Fitzmaurice was a nephew of Thomas Fitzmaurice, 1st Earl of Kerry, ancestor of the Marquis of Lansdowne. Robert Tilson Fitzmaurice Deane, grandson of Robert and Anne, married Elizabeth Geraldine Grogan Morgan of Johnstown Castle, county Wexford and assumed the additional name of Morgan. Their son, Hamilton Matthew Tilson Fitzmaurice Deane-Morgan, succeeded his grandfather as 4th Baron Muskerry in 1868. In his entry for the parish of Mourneabbey, Lewis refers to the "late Lord Muskerry" (1st Baron) having built "a splendid mansion in the vicinity on which he is said to have expended upwards of £30,000; but before it was inhabited it was taken down and the materials sold''. Beaufort also refers to this mansion which had been dismantled by 1788. It was at Dromore, parish of Kilshannig. Griffith's Valuation records Lord Muskerry holding land in the parishes of Killagholehane, Killeedy and Mahoonagh, barony of Glenquin and Dromcolleher, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick and in the barony of Orrery and Kilmore, county Cork including parishes of Shandrum and Kilbolane. In July 1864 lands in the baronies of Glenquin, Smallcounty, county Limerick and West Muskerry, county Cork and Maguinihy, county Kerry, the estate of Lord Muskerry and Maria Chinnery were advertised for sale. Maria Chinnery would appear to be the daughter of Sir Broderick Chinnery, baronet, of county Cork. These lands were purchased by Messers. Evans, Nagle and Prin. In the 1870s Lord Muskerry owned 3,161 acres in county Limerick, 742 acres in county Tipperary, 912 acres in county Wexford and 28 acres in county Clare. The rental of Barnagurrane, 242 acres in the barony of Connello Upper, the estate of Eugene Guilford Finnerty, was advertised for sale in November 1881. Lord Muskerry was the tenant and this property adjoined his Springfield Castle demesne. His wife, Elizabeth Grogan Deane Morgan, was the owner of over 350 acres in county Waterford in the 1870s as well as extensive estates in counties Kilkenny and Wexford.
Chinnery The Chinnerys came from Suffolk and settled in county Cork in the mid 17th century. John Chinnery of Mallow was granted Castlecor and other lands amounting to 1,673 acres in 1666. He had two sons, George of Castlecor, and Nicholas of Flintfield. Nicholas married Margaret O'Callaghan of Clonmeen, county Cork, and it was their granddaughter who married her cousin, Sir Brodrick Chinnery, 1st Baronet in 1768. Sir Brodrick was the grandson of George Chinnery and a brother of the Right Reverend George Chinnery, Bishop of Cloyne. His uncle, John Chinnery, had sold Castlecor to William Freeman. Sir Brodrick was created a baronet in 1799 and was Member of Parliament for Bandon in 1802. Sir Brodrick Chinnery, 2nd Baronet, of Flintfield, married Diana Elizabeth Vernon of Clontarf Castle, county Dublin and they do not appear to have resided at Flintfield. Their only son, Sir Nicholas Chinnery, 3rd Baronet, and his wife were killed by a train in 1868. The 3rd Baronet's only child, a daughter, married in 1864 the Reverend James Robert Alexander Haldane, Bishop of Argyll and the Isles. He assumed the additional name of Chinnery. The Chinnery estate was situated in the parishes of Cullen, barony of Duhallow, and Drishane, barony of West Muskerry, county Cork. Lands belonging to Lord Muskerry and Maria Chinnery were sold in the Landed Estates Court in March, 1865. The purchasers were Messers. Evans, Nagle and Prin. [A Richard Brodrick Chinnery owned 239 acres in county Cork in the 1870s]. Chinnery is spelt Genry in some parts of Griffith's Valuation.
McCarthy (Drishane) McCarthys had been established in the Drishane area of county Cork for many centuries. Lane writes that Jeremiah Eugene McCarthy was a Catholic landowner who was in receipt of half the tithes of the parish in the 1830s. The McCarthys held land from the Earls of Donoughmore and Sir Broderick Chinnery. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Eugene McCarthy held an estate in the parish of Drishane, barony of West Muskerry and Dromtarriff and Kilmeen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. In November 1873 the 4,966 estate of John McCarthy in the barony of West Muskerry, county Cork, was advertised for sale for the first time. It was held on a lease dated 1796 from Broderick Chinnery of Ann's Grove to Owen McCarthy of the city of Cork for 999 years. In the mid 1870s John McCarthy of "Raduane", Millstreet, owned 647 acres in the county. [Alexander McCarthy of Liscreagh, parish of Drishane, also owned 3,832 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.]
Stubbs Thomas Troubridge Stubbs of London came to Ireland in the 1830s and settled at Ballyshannon, county Donegal. In 1839 he married Elizabeth Chinnery daughter of Joseph Folingsby of Belfast and Ballyshannon by his wife Eleanor daughter of Sir Broderick Chinnery. Mrs Stubbs succeeded to part of the Chinnery estate in county Cork following the death of her cousin the Reverend Sir Nicholas Chinnery baronet in 1868. H.C. Stubbs of Dublin owned over 2,000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.