Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McCarthy (Drishane)

McCarthys had been established in the Drishane area of county Cork for many centuries. Lane writes that Jeremiah Eugene McCarthy was a Catholic landowner who was in receipt of half the tithes of the parish in the 1830s. The McCarthys held land from the Earls of Donoughmore and Sir Broderick Chinnery. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Eugene McCarthy held an estate in the parish of Drishane, barony of West Muskerry and Dromtarriff and Kilmeen, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. In November 1873 the 4,966 estate of John McCarthy in the barony of West Muskerry, county Cork, was advertised for sale for the first time. It was held on a lease dated 1796 from Broderick Chinnery of Ann's Grove to Owen McCarthy of the city of Cork for 999 years. In the mid 1870s John McCarthy of "Raduane", Millstreet, owned 647 acres in the county. [Alexander McCarthy of Liscreagh, parish of Drishane, also owned 3,832 acres in county Cork in the 1870s.]

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Knockagallane Knockagallane Drishane Millstreet Caherbarnagh 284 West Muskerry Cork OSI Ref: W208 903
OS Sheet: 38
Discovery map: 79
Rathduane Rathduane Drishane Millstreet Caherbarnagh 284 West Muskerry Cork OSI Ref: W210 927
OS Sheet: 38
Discovery map: 79

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), McCarthy, 7 Nov 1873, Vol 112 (4), 26 Aug 1874, Vol116 (30) & 12 Mar 1875, Vol 118 (48), MRGS 39/051, 39/053 & 39/054, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Pedigree of McCarthy family of county Cork (Leader Collection); Irish Genealogical Research Society Library
  • Copy of confirmation of arms to John MacCarthy O'Leary of Coomlagane, Co. Cork and to his grandson, Charles Arthur Ulric Felix Chichester, son of Charles Renfric Chichester by Madeleine Felicia, daughter of the said John, Jan. 21, 1932. Genealogical Office: Ms.111d. fol.73-4 ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources