Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Pennefather (Co Tipperary)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ryan (Ballymackeogh) This family were settled in county Tipperary from the mid 17th century. In 1814 William Ryan of Ballymackeogh married Anne, daughter of Reverend John Pennefather, rector of St Johns, Newport, county Tipperary. They had five sons and four daughters. Their second son, John, married his cousin, Louisa Richarda, daughter of Major Kingsmill Pennefather of Knockinglass, county Tipperary. In June 1861 premises in the town of Kilmallock, county Limerick, the estate of John Ryan and John Pennefather, heir-at-law of William Westby Pennefather were advertised for sale. The Ryan estate was in the parish of Kilvellane. In the 1870s William Ryan of Ballymackeogh owned 1,352 acres in county Tipperary.
Pennefather (New Park & Lakefield) In 1667 Cornet Matthew Pennefather from Staffordshire was granted lands in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. His son, also named Matthew, married Lavina Kingsmill of New Park, county Tipperary and through this marriage the Pennefathers inherited the New Park estate. Matthew and Lavinia had three sons, Kingsmill of New Park, Matthew and William of Marlow. Succeeding generations of Pennefathers lived at New Park. Junior branches of the family settled at Ballylanigan, Knockeevan and Lakefield. Family members represented Cashel in Parliament. Lewis writes that the parish of Ballingarry was the property of Matthew Pennefather who had extensive coal mines on his estates. Matthew Pennefather held at least 5 townlands in the parish of Ballingarry at the time of Griffith's Valuation and also held land in the parishes of Ballysheehan and Erry, barony of Middlethird. K. Pennefather held land in the parish of Killenaule. At the same time William Pennefather held land in the parishes of Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh and Baptistgrange, barony of Middlethird. Parts of the unsettled estates of Mathew Pennefather of Newpark were advertised for sale in October and November 1851 amounting to over 2,500 acres and premises in Cashel. The New Park estate of 1,730 acres was advertised for sale in June 1852. In June 1861 premises in the town of Kilmallock, county Limerick, the estate of John Ryan and John Pennefather, heir at law of William Westby Pennefather were advertised for sale. In the 1870s the representatives of Kingsmill Pennefather, Liverpool owned 721 acres and Richard Pennefather of Lakefield owned 1,220 acres in county Tipperary. http://www.igp-web.com/tipperary/estate38.htm
Pennefather (Knockeevan) A junior branch of the Pennefather family of New Park, county Tipperary, descended from Major William Pennefather, Member of Parliament for Cashel 1771, second son of Richard Pennefather of New Park. William married Ellen Moore of Mooresfort, county Tipperary and they had two sons, Richard and Edward, who both became eminent lawyers. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Honourable Baron [Richard] Pennefather held an estate in the parishes of Newchapel, barony of Iffa and Offa East and Knockgraffon and St Patricksrock, barony of Middlethird. In 1836 Richard's son, also named Richard, married Lady Emily Butler, sister of the Earl of Glengall. In 1852 she married, as her second husband, Colonel H. A. Hankey. Edward and Reverend William Pennefather, sons of Edward, younger brother of Baron Richard, held land in the parishes of Molough, Caher and Tubbrid, barony of Iffa and Offa West in the mid 19th century. In the 1870s Edward G. Pennefather of Bray, county Wicklow, owned 479 acres in county Tipperary. Miss Mary Pennefather of Kingstown, Dublin, who owned 772 acres in county Tipperary at the same time, may have been Edward G. Pennefather's sister.
Pennefather (Marlow) This branch of the Pennefather family descend from William Pennefather, third son of Matthew and Lavinia Pennefather of New Park, county Tipperary. In 1734 William Pennefather of Marlow married Anne daughter of Lovelace Taylor of Noan, county Tipperary. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Matthew and Edward Pennefather held land in the parish of Clogher. Edward Pennefather married Mary Mansergh of Cashel and in the 1870s their son Thomas Pennefather of Marlow owned 1,133 acres in county Tipperary.
Stephens (Kilvemnon) In the mid 19th century the representatives of J. Stephens held an estate on the Tipperary/Kilkenny border in the parish of Kilvemnon, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary from William Pennefather. In June 1851 the estate of Christopher Hume Lawder, assignee of John Stephens, at Oldis Clonegoose, Lowes Clonegoose, Poulecopple West and Ballylanigan, barony of Slievardagh and Compsey, was advertised for sale. The sale of an annuity charged on the Clonegoose parts of this estate in June 1859 states that William Pennefather of Ballylanigan bought the Stephens estate.
Jordan (Co Tipperary) Evory Jordan was an immediate lessor in the parish of Erry, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary at the time of Griffith's Valuation holding his lands from members of the Pennefather family. At the same time Richard Jordan held land in the parishes of Peppardstown, Rathcool and St Johnbaptist, barony of Middlethird. In the 1870s Mrs A.C. Jordan of Nottinghill, London owned 297 acres in county Tipperary.
Davies (New Park) When Henry Davies, a Liverpool business man, made his will dated 21 June 1856 his address was given as New Park, county Tipperary. Henry Davies was in business with his brother William and both brothers died in 1857 . In July 1864 the estate of Caroline, Mary Helena and Edith Susanna Davies at Newpark, Ballykelly and Garrankelly, Fossaghmore, amounting to over a thousand acres in county Tipperary was advertised for sale. Joseph McCan was the purchaser. [In the 1870s the representatives of Kingsmill Pennefather, Liverpool, owned 721 acres in county Tipperary].
Hankey In 1836 Lady Emily Georgina Arabella Butler, sister of the Earl of Glengall, married Richard Pennefather of Knockeevan or Darling Hill, county Tipperary. Richard died in 1849 and in 1852 she married Colonel (later General) Henry A. Hankey. The only son of Lady Emily, Richard Pennefather, died in 1863. In 1869 Richard's only sister Evelyn Henrietta Pennefather married Arthur Philip Stanhope, 6th Earl Stanhope and records relating to the Pennefather/Hankey/Stanhope estate in county Tipperary are preserved in the Stanhope of Chevening collection. In May 1872 the estate of Lady Hankey at Garranmore, (367 acres) in the barony of Middlethird, was advertised for sale. This land was held by indenture dated 20 Dec 1871 from the Bishop of Cashel and the Commissioners of Church Temporalities to John Alexander Hankey and Beaumont Hankey, trustees for the owner. In the mid 1870s Lady Hankey of Knockeevan, Clonmel and London, owned 3,899 acres in county Tipperary.
Pennefather (Ballynera) This branch of the Pennefather family descended from Thomas, second son of Kingsmill Pennefather, eldest son of Matthew and Lavinia Pennefather. Thomas married Frances Goodwin in 1730 and the Compsey, Kilshane and Ballyneira estates were settled on him. One of his daughters married Thomas Oldis of Ballylanigan. William Pennefather bought the Stephens' interest in Oldis and Lowes Clonegoose in 1851 as recorded in the sale of an annuity charged on the lands in June 1859. His grandson, Thomas of Ballylanigan, was Mayor of Cashel and died in 1828 leaving three sons, William, Kingsmill and Richard of Kilshane who had a son, Thomas Bolton Pennefather. Thomas B. Pennefather of Thurles owned 319 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s.
Savile In the 1870s Captain William Saville of Wye, Kent, England, owned 748 acres in county Tipperary. He was the only child of Henry Alexander Savile, second son of John 3rd Earl of Mexborough. His mother was Catherine daughter of Kingsmill Pennefather of New Park, county Tipperary.