Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Oliver (Castle Oliver)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Oliver (Cos Galway & Leitrim) The Oliver family's main estates were in county Limerick but they also held land in Leitrim. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Dudley Oliver [of Cherrymount, county Wicklow], held most of 2 townlands in the parish of Addergoole, barony of Dunmore, county Galway from the See of Tuam. He was descended from the Most Reverend John Ryder, Protestant Archbishop of Tuam in the later 18th century.
Gascoigne/Trench (Castle Oliver) Richard Oliver of Castle Oliver, county Limerick, took the additional name of Gascoigne when he and his wife became the successors to the Gascoigne of Parlington estate in Yorkshire. Richard Oliver Gascoigne died in 1843 and was succeeded by his two daughters. In 1850 Mary Isabella married the Honourable Frederic Charles Trench, a first cousin of the 2nd Baron Ashtown. In 1852 her sister Elizabeth married Frederic Mason Trench, 2nd Baron Ashtown, of Woodlawn, county Galway, as his second wife. They had no children. Griffith's Valuation records the county Limerick estate of Elizabeth O. Gascoigne and her brother-in-law, Frederic Charles Trench, as situated mainly in the parish of Kilflyn, Kilfinnane and Particles but also in the parishes of Athneasy, Ballingarry, Darragh, Emlygrennan, Kilbreedy Major, and Knocklong, barony of Coshlea. In the 1870s Lord Ashtown owned over 11,000 acres in county Limerick while the Honourable F.C.T. Gascoigne of Parlington, Yorkshire, who had taken the additional name of Gascoigne, owned 7,766 acres in county Limerick. In June 1875 an estate on the Shannon estuary at Killocally, barony of Shanid, amounting to 727 acres was bought in trust for Colonel Gascoigne from Charles H. Minchin.
Oliver (Castle Oliver) By the late 17th century the Olivers were settled at Clonodfoy (later known as Castle Oliver), barony of Coshlea, county Limerick. Captain Robert Oliver was granted lands in the barony of Coshlea and in the barony of Clanmorris, county Kerry in 1666. In 1734 Robert Oliver, Member of Parliament for Kilmallock, married Jane Katherine, daughter and co-heiress of John Silver. In 1667 Owen Silver had been granted lands in the barony of Muskerry, county Cork and Ileagh, county Tipperary. Robert and Jane's son, Silver Oliver, also married an heiress, Isabella Sarah Newman of Newbury (Newberry Manor), county Cork, as did their grandson, Richard Philip Oliver. He married Mary Turner through whom the family inherited the Gascoigne estates in Yorkshire. Richard and Mary Oliver Gascoigne had two daughters, Mary Isabella and Elizabeth who succeeded to the Oliver and Gascoigne estates in 1843. Both married members of the Trench family of Woodlawn, county Galway. The Oliver estate was in the barony of Coshlea, mainly in the parishes of Kilfinnane, Kilflyn and Particles. The Deane Oliver estate including part of Castletownroche was offered for sale in November 1867. It amounted to over 800 acres.
Oliver (Inchera & Dunkettle) Charles Silver Oliver of Spa Hill, county Limerick and Inchera, Little Island, county Cork, was a younger brother of Richard Oliver Gascoigne of Castle Oliver. In 1805 he married Maria Elizabeth Morris of Dunkettle, county Cork and they had seven children. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Mrs Maria Oliver held land in the parish of Castlelyons, barony of Barrymore, while her son Silver C. Oliver held an estate in the parishes of Ballingaddy, Kilfyn and Particles, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick and in the parishes of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow, Aghabulloge, Magourney, barony of East Muskerry and Little Island, barony of Barrymore, county Cork and Glenkeen, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Silver C. Oliver owned 2,156 acres in county Limerick, 6,738 acres in county Cork, 849 acres in county Tipperary and 129 acres in county Kilkenny.