Landed Estates
NUI Galway

White (Kilmoylan)


Estate(s)

Name Description
White (Kilmoylan & Lisowen) John White of Cappaghwhite, county Tipperary, was the second son of Simon White, Mayor of Limerick in 1696. He acquired a large estate in counties Limerick and Tipperary at the beginning of the 18th century, purchasing some of the confiscated estate of James II in the baronies of Eliogarty and Ikerrin in 1703. ''Burke's Family Records'' states that he disinherited both his sons and left his property to his daughter, Rebecca. The Whites of Kilmoylan are descended from his second son, Reverend Newport White, who died c.1759. Reverend White's eldest son was John White of Lisowen who succeeded to the property of his aunt, Rebecca White. ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that John White's son, Newport, left Lisowen in 1798 and settled at Whiteville, [county Tipperary]. Lissowen was located in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. No house is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. Newport's seventh son, Benjamin of Whiteville, married Rosetta, daughter of James Minchin of Ballyduff House, county Tipperary in 1833 and died childless in 1875. Lisowen and other lands were advertised for sale in June 1855 by Henry White. Reverend White's third son, Newport White, married Mary Ievers and built a house at Kilmoylan in the parish of Doon, county Limerick, in the mid 18th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Newport White held the townland of Kilmoylan Lower (366 acres) from the representatives of D. Barrington. In the 1870s Mary White of Kilmoylan, Doon owned 556 acres in county Limerick. The townland of Lissowen, parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, did not contain any large house at the time of the first edition Ordnance Survey map.
White (Greenhall & Abbeyville) This family share a common ancestry with the Whites of Kilmoylan, county Limerick. Benjamin White was a younger brother of John White of Cappaghwhite, county Tipperary. He was born in 1682 and married Catherine Finch (or Waller) and had a son, Henry White of Greenhall and New Ross, county Tipperary. In November 1765 ''Faulkner's Dublin Journal'' records the marriage of Henry White to his second wife, Elizabeth Maunsell of Macollop Castle. ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that they were the ancestors of the Whites of Greenhall, county Tipperary and Mainster and Abbeyville, county Limerick. ''The Hibernian Magazine'' of 1775 records the marriage of Richard White of Greenhall and Miss O'Donnell of Clonmoney, county Clare. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record Mrs. White of Dublin as the owner of property in the parish of Abington in 1840. In April 1851 the Greenhall estate comprised of 424 acres in the barony of Owney and Arra, belonging to Richard White and others, was advertised for sale. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13032679. It was purchased by Edward White. The Freeman's Journal reported that it was purchased by Timothy O'Brien for over £1000.