Landed Estates
NUI Galway

White (Kilmoylan & Lisowen)

John White of Cappaghwhite, county Tipperary, was the second son of Simon White, Mayor of Limerick in 1696. He acquired a large estate in counties Limerick and Tipperary at the beginning of the 18th century, purchasing some of the confiscated estate of James II in the baronies of Eliogarty and Ikerrin in 1703. ''Burke's Family Records'' states that he disinherited both his sons and left his property to his daughter, Rebecca. The Whites of Kilmoylan are descended from his second son, Reverend Newport White, who died c.1759. Reverend White's eldest son was John White of Lisowen who succeeded to the property of his aunt, Rebecca White. ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that John White's son, Newport, left Lisowen in 1798 and settled at Whiteville, [county Tipperary]. Lissowen was located in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. No house is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. Newport's seventh son, Benjamin of Whiteville, married Rosetta, daughter of James Minchin of Ballyduff House, county Tipperary in 1833 and died childless in 1875. Lisowen and other lands were advertised for sale in June 1855 by Henry White. Reverend White's third son, Newport White, married Mary Ievers and built a house at Kilmoylan in the parish of Doon, county Limerick, in the mid 18th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Newport White held the townland of Kilmoylan Lower (366 acres) from the representatives of D. Barrington. In the 1870s Mary White of Kilmoylan, Doon owned 556 acres in county Limerick. The townland of Lissowen, parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, did not contain any large house at the time of the first edition Ordnance Survey map.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Kilmoylan Kilmoylan Lower Doon Tipperary No 2 Doon South 145 Coonagh Limerick OSI Ref: R826 502
OS Sheet: 16
Discovery map: 66
Cappagh House Cappagh Toem Thurles Cappagh 150 Kilnamanagh Upper Tipperary OSI Ref: R892 477
OS Sheet: 51
Discovery map: 66
Ballyduff Shanballyduff Rahelty Thurles Moyne 137 Eliogarty Tipperary OSI Ref: S187 615
OS Sheet: 42
Discovery map: 60
Whiteville Knockanroger Barnane Ely Roscrea Borrisnoe 114 Ikerrin Tipperary OSI Ref: S041 770
OS Sheet: 22
Discovery map: 59

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), White, 17 June 1851, Vol 8 (22), MRGS 39/003, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), White, 19 June 1855, Vol 35 (33), MRGS 39/016, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • W. B. Scott, solicitor's collection, includes a lease of the Middle & Lower divisions of Knockinroger or Whiteville, barony of Ikerrin, Miss Mary White to John Bennett, 1863. Private Accessions Index 76, D.11,128; National Archives of Ireland
  • T.U. Sadlier Collection includes deeds, marriage settlements & wills of White family of Whiteville, Co Tipperary & Lisowen & Kilmoylan, Co Limerick; Going family of Birdhill, Co Tipperary, Hunt/Vere Hunt of Cappagh, Co Tipperary; Dawson of Greenfield, Co Tipperary; Bradshaw of Cottage, Co Tipperary. Includes letters of Admiral Benjamin White of Limerick & Quinpool. 1721-1827. Small Accs. Index 1/730; National Archives of Ireland
  • Dean White Collection includes documents re the White family and lands of Graigue, Co Tipperary & 2 charges re the lands of Castletown, Co Tipperary & Michael Carroll & Thomas Cambie, 1820. Small Accs. Index 1/738 &1/739, Co 3438; National Archives of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association File, early 1940s, North Tipperary No. 1 (Cappagh House); Tipperary Studies Research Library (Archives), Thurles

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources