Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gabbett (Strand House)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Wilson (Caherconlish) Sir Ralph Wilson, knight, was granted 830 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, including Caherconlish and the South Liberties of Limerick in 1666. A deed of 1784 shows that the Wilsons were leasing Tervoe and other lands to the Monsells on a lease renewable for ever. Charles M. Wilson was the son of Thomas Maunsell Wilson of Cahirconlish, county Limerick and the Honourable Isabella Monck, daughter of the 1st Viscount Monck, who married in 1816. Charles Monck Wilson married Alice Maria, daughter of the Reverend Hugh Edward Prior. Their only son, Charles William Wilson, was born in 1870. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles M. Wilson held an estate in the parish of Caherconlish, barony of Clanwilliam. In June 1866 this estate and his lands at Finleamore and Kilmore, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare were advertised for sale. Caherconlish was bought by Daniel F. Gabbett of Strand House. Later, in July 1868, 7000 acres owned by Charles Monck Wilson in the barony of Erris, county Mayo were sold to Mr. Jameson in the Landed Estates Court. [927 acres belonging to Mary Wilson were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 21 November 1912].
Gabbett (Caherline) A Shropshire family who were established at Caherline, county Limerick by the end of the 17th century. The senior branch of this family remained at Caherline throughout the following two centuries while junior branches settled at Mountminnett, High Park, Strand House and in county Clare. [The evidence seems to suggest that the Gabbetts originally lived in the townland of Caherline, parish of Ballybrood and then in a house called Caherline at Lisnagry near Limerick city]. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Henry Gabbett held an estate in the parish of Ballybrood, barony of Clanwilliam. In the 1870s his son Richard J. Gabbett of Caherline owned just over a thousand acres in county Limerick. The Mountminnett branch of the family were descended from John Gabbett third son of William Gabbett of Caherline. In 1713 John married Mary Apjohn and their descendants, successive generations named William, continued to live at Mountminnett into the late 19th century when William Gabbett of Mountminnett is recorded as owning 397 acres.
Gabbett (Strand House) Daniel Gabbett of Strand House was the third son of William Gabbett of Caherline, near Limerick city, and his wife, Jane Maunsell of Ballywilliam. In 1795, Daniel Gabbett of Strand House, county Limerick, married Alicia FitzGerald of Carrigoran, county Clare and they had six sons Their fifth son, the Reverend Joseph Gabbett of Ardvullen and Shelburne, county Limerick owned over 3,500 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. At the same time their grandson, Daniel Fitzgerald Gabbett of Oldcourt, Caherconlish, is recorded as owning 1,193 acres in the same county. Daniel F. Gabbett was a son of Daniel Gabbett. He was Member of Parliament for Limerick city from 1879-1885. Part of his estate at Caherconlish with other lands amounting to over a thousand acres was advertised for sale in November 1883. Windham Gabbett of Mount Rivers, county Tipperary, was his brother. The Irish Times reported the adjournment of the sale due to absence of bidding.
Gabbett (Mountrivers) Wyndham Gabbett was a grandson of Daniel Gabbett of The Strand, county Limerick. In 1867 he married Fanny Phillips of Mount Rivers. On the 13 January 1874 the estate of Wyndham Gabbett of Mount Rivers, county Tipperary was advertised for sale. The total acreage amounted to 2,200 acres in counties Tipperary and Limerick, most of the land was located in the barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary and included Mount Rivers house. Windham Gabbett of Mount Rivers, Newport, county Tipperary, owned 1,066 acres in county Clare, 341 acres in county Limerick and 103 acres in county Tipperary.
Dickin In 1827 Thomas Dickin of Loppington House, Salop married Jane, granddaughter of the 2nd Lord Massy. Their son Thomas Atcherley Massy Dickin married in 1866 Margaret Elizabeth only child of the Reverend Joseph Gabbett of Shelbourne, county Limerick and they had a family of nine children. The deaths of Mrs Dickin and her infant son at Shelbourne are recorded in ''The Limerick Chronicle'' (6 Sept 1883). Thomas A. M. Dickin held untenanted land in the parishes of Uregare, St Peters and St Pauls and Ballingaddy, baronies of Coshma, Kilmallock and Coshlea, county Limerick in 1906. His father in law the Reverend Joseph Gabbett of Ardvullen and Shelburne, county Limerick owned over 3,500 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s.