Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lloyd (Castle Lloyd)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lloyd (Castle Lloyd) This family was established in county Limerick from the 17th century and resided at Towerhill. The Lloyd familes of Towerhill, Castle Lloyd, Linfield and Beechmount all descend from Thomas Lloyd of Towerhill, a tax commissioner for county Limerick in 1660. Members of the various branches also intermarried in the 18th and 19th centuries. In 1710 the Reverend Thomas Lloyd of Towerhill and Fantstown Castle, county Limerick, married as his first wife, Mary Burgh, and from their eldest son descend the Lloyds of Castle Lloyd, from their second son the Lloyds of Towerhill and from their third son the Lloyds of Heathfield. The Reverend Lloyd married secondly Frances Bateman of Altavilla from whom the Beechmount Lloyds descend. Heads of the Castle Lloyd branch of the family in successive generations were clergymen. The family held land in the parishes of Abington and Tuogh, barony of Owneybeg, Oola, Doon and Tuoghcluggin, barony of Coonagh and Knocknagaul, barony of Pubblebrien. Some of their estate in the barony of Coonagh was either purchased or leased from the Earl of Portarlington. This estate was advertised for sale in 1855 and 1856. Thomas Lloyd bought back over 200 acres of his estate in the Encumbered Estates Court in April 1856. The estate of William Thomas Llewellyn Lloyd at Garryheakin, barony of Coonagh was advertised for sale in September 1871. In the 1870s Thomas Lloyd of Pallasbeg is recorded as owning 704 acres in county Limerick.
Lloyd (Towerhill) The Lloyds of Towerhill, county Limerick, are descended from the second son of the Reverend Thomas Lloyd of Towerhill and Fantstown. In 1801 the Reverend Rickard Lloyd of Towerhill had married Maria, daughter of the Venerable Garrett Wall and his wife Margaret, eldest daughter of Rickard Lloyd of Castle Lake, county Tipperary. William Lloyd of Towerhill married Dorothea Louisa O'Grady and died in 1864. His widow, Mrs Louisa Lloyd, owned 968 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. The estate had been advertised for sale in 1889 but the Irish Times reported that no bidders had come forward at the time. In July 1890 the proposal by Messers. Blake to purchase the estate for £8000 was acceded to by the court.
Lloyd Apjohn (Linfield) This branch of the Lloyd family are descended from Rickard Lloyd, a younger son of Thomas Lloyd of Towerhill, county Limerick, tax commissioner in 1660. They succeeded to the Linfield property through the mid 18th century marriage of Richard Lloyd and Mary, daughter of Michael Apjohn of Linfield. Richard and Mary's son Michael (1765-1855) succeeded his uncle, Michael Marshall Apjohn and assumed the additional name of Apjohn. The Reverend Michael Marshall Lloyd Upjohn/Apjohn held land in the parishes of Grean, barony of Coonagh and Kilteely, barony of Smallcounty, county Limerick, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His son, Michael Marshall Lloyd Apjohn of Linfield married Olivia, daughter of Thomas Apjohn Kearney of Sunville in 1854. In the 1870s Michael M. Lloyd Apjohn of Linfield owned 1,003 acres in county Limerick [Hussey de Burgh records this acreage as belonging to the Earl of Normanton, from whom the Apjohns held land in the parish of Kilteely], while Michael Marshall Lloyd [Apjohn] of Ballyvoneen, Pallasgreen, county Limerick, owned 977 acres. In 1861 Isabella Lloyd Apjohn married Desmond John Edmund FitzGerald, who became the Knight of Glin in 1866. The Glin Papers contain some documents relating to the Lloyd Apjohn family. The estate of Michael Marshall ast Kilmacuddy and other lands in the barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary, amounting to 764 acres was advertised for sale in November 1853. John Lloyd of Lloydsborough was the tenant of Kilmacuddy in 1853 and the immediate lessor at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Property owned by Lloyd Apjohn and others in the barony of Owenbeg, county Limerick, was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in February 1889.
Damer/Dawson Damer The Damer family, who held estates in Dorset and Somerset, supported Cromwell and, after the Restoration, purchased estates in Ireland. Joseph Damer was created Baron Milton in 1762 and Earl of Dorchester in 1792 and held estates in counties Clare, Limerick and Tipperary. His titles died out with the death of his son, the 2nd Earl of Dorchester, in 1808. When his daughter died in 1828 the Damer estates were inherited by his grand-nephew, John Dawson, 2nd Earl of Portarlington, of Dawson's Grove, Queen's county [county Laois]. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey circa 1840 the Earl of Portarlington held an estate comprised of much of the parish of Oola, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Earl of Portarlington is recorded as the immediate lessor of five townlands in that parish. The other townlands of which he was proprietor at the time of the first Ordnance Survey were leased or sold to members of the Bradshaw family, members of the Lloyd family of Castle Lloyd or Captain Hammersly. In the mid 19th century the Earl's county Tipperary estate was in the baronies of Clanwilliam (parish of Emly), Kilnamanagh Upper (mainly in the parish of Glenkeen), Ikerrin (mainly in the parish of Roscrea), Lower Ormond (mainly in the parish of Loughkeen) and Eliogarty. The second division of the Portarlington estates was advertised for sale in August 1850. The sale includes lands in the county Tipperary baronies of Middlethird, Clanwilliam and Kilnamanagh Upper. The fourth division of the Portarlington estates situated on the borders of counties Tipperary and Limerick amounting to 15,363 acres plus "The Lordship and Estate of Borrisoleigh" comprised of 7,783 acres, was advertised for sale in January 1855. The sixth division of the Portarlington estates was advertised for sale in June 1856 and included lands in counties Tipperary, Limerick and Longford amounting to a total of 6,513 acres, mainly near the town of Cashel. The seventh division of the Portarlington estates, 7,077 acres in counties Tipperary near Limerick Junction, Tipperary town, Templemore and Parsonstown, was advertised for sale in May 1857. A newspaper cutting with this rental gives details of the purchasers. The eighth division of the Portarlington estates, comprised of the lands of Barnlough and Gurteenshingawe, 1,357 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale in June 1858. The ninth division of the Portarlington estates, comprised of the town and town parks of Roscrea was advertised for sale in November 1858. Annotations on the rental show that most of the town parks were sold to R. S. Palmer in March 1859 and July 1860. The 10th division of this estate amounting to !,389 acres in counties Tipperary and Queen's County (Laois) was offered for sale in May 1860.
Bradshaw (Oola) At the time of Griffith's Valuation members of the Bradshaw family, John, Miss Anne L. and Samuel were the immediate lessors of 7 townlands in the parish of Oola, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. All these townlands were part of the estate of the Earl of Portarlington circa 1840. Earlier, in 1786, Wilson refers to a house called Prospect as the seat of Mr. Bradshaw. In the 1870s the representatives of L. Anne Bradshaw owned 363 acres in county Limerick.