Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bevan (Camas)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bevan (Camas) Burke's ''Irish Family Records'' states that Thomas Beevin leased the lands of Camass, county Limerick, from Sir Standish Hartstonge Baronet in 1703 and it is obvious from the Ordnance Survey Name Books that the Bevans held Camas from the Earl of Limerick in the 1840s. Thomas Beevin's grandson, Henry, adopted the spelling 'Bevan'. Henry had three sons. From his second son descend the Bevans of Lemonfield, who mortgaged their North Camass property to the senior branch of the family in 1836. Members of the senior branch of the family intermarried with the Purdon, Gubbins, Furnell, Massy and Cooke families. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Frederick Bevan held an estate located in the parishes of Bruff, Dromin, Uregare, barony of Coshma and Darragh, barony of Coshlea. In the 1870s Reverend Frederick Bevan of Camass owned 72 acres in county Limerick and he eventually went to live in Australia. His father, John Bevan of Elton House, owned 1,000 acres in the county and their cousin, Joseph Bevan of Glenbevan, owned 586 acres. Lands in the barony of Connello Lower bought by Joseph Bevan in the Encumbered Estates' Court, formerly part of the Southwell estate, were advertised for sale in July 1879 by members of the Bevan, Finch and Taverner families. The estate of William Bevan, situated in the barony of Kilconnell, county Galway, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in October 1854.