Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Rose (Ahabeg)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Rose (Ahabeg) The Rose family, originally from Devonshire, settled at Morgans and Mount Prospect, county Limerick in the late 17th century. Thomas Rose of Morgans, parish of Rathkeale, county Limerick and of Aghabeg and Ballyclough in the Limerick Liberties was Mayor of Limerick city in 1695. His eldest son, Henry Rose, was Member of Parliament for Ardfert and became a Lord Chief Justice. Lord Chief Justice Henry Rose of Mount Pleasant married Anne Crosbie and had a son and a daughter. The son left an only child, Elizabeth, who married William Talbot of Mount Talbot, county Roscommon while the daughter married John Southwell of Enniscouch, county Limerick and had an only daughter, Agnes, who married John Wandesford, Earl Wandesford. The Roses of county Limerick are descended from George Rose, a younger brother of Chief Justice Henry Rose. This George Rose married twice. Alexander O’Grady Rose, who owned land in the parishes of Kilkeedy and Mungret, barony of Pubblebrien at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, was descended from George Rose's first marriage to Jane Hickman of Barntick, county Clare. In June 1850 and at future dates the estate of Alexander O'Grady Rose in the baronies of Pubblebrien and Kenry, county Limerick and in the parish of Kinarath, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, were advertised for sale. W. A. Rose, Alexander O'Grady Rose and Simon Rose all held land in the parish of Kilvellane, barony of Owney and Arra at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Richard Rose was the son of George Rose's second marriage to Susanna Stephens of Newcastle, county Limerick. Richard Rose married Mary, daughter of John Anderson of Foxhall, county Tipperary, and from them descend the Roses of Ahabeg and Foxhall. Their eldest grandson was Richard Anderson Rose. He had two sons, Richard Anderson Rose, who held an estate in the parish of Carrigparson, barony of Clanwilliam, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, and Wellington Anderson Rose, who held land in the parish of Abington, barony of Owneybeg. In 1826 their uncle, Simon Rose, had married Maria, daughter of Arthur Ormsby of Ballygrenan and Ballyculleen, county Limerick and their son, Henry Ormsby Rose, succeeded to the Ormsby estates of his uncle, Henry Ormsby. Another uncle, Henry Rose, lived at Ballyclogh, parish of Kilmurry and owned land in county Galway. In the 1870s Robert de Ros Rose of Ahabeg owned 2,747 acres in county Limerick. Thomas Rose of Court Cottage, parish of Kildimo, barony of Kenry is recorded in Lewis and he still occupied the house valued at £7 at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The estate of Francis Rose, 55 acres in the barony of Coshlea, was advertised for sale in January 1866. Francis Rose of America owned 57 acres in the 1870s.
Rose (Ballyclogh) Henry Rose held the townland of Killonan, parish of Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick at the time of Griffith's Valuation and Lewis records H. Rose as resident at Killonan Cottage. Henry Rose, whose address is given as Ballyclough, Limerick, is recorded as the owner of almost 600 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. He was the fifth son of Thomas Maunsell Rose of Ahabeg and Rathkeale, county Limerick.
Ormsby (Athlacca) This Ormsby family share a common ancestry with the Ormsbys of Tobervaddy, county Roscommon. In 1666 Captain Arthur Ormsby of Ballyvenoge, county Limerick was granted 6,068 acres in counties Limerick and Cork and Charles Ormsby, a minor, was granted over 5,000 acres in the barony of Coshma, county Limerick, including Athlacka. The county Limerick lands were mainly in the barony of Coshma and were previously the property of the de Lacy family. The county Cork lands were in the barony of East Carbery. John Ormsby who lived at Athlacca in the first decade of the 18th century was a descendant. In 1786 another descendant Arthur Ormsby of Ballygrennan, parish of St Munchins, barony of Pubblebrien, married Maria Vereker, sister of Viscount Gort and had a number of children, including sons John, Maunsell and Henry and a daughter Maria who married Simon Rose of Ahabeg, county Limerick in 1826. Their son Henry Ormsby Rose eventually succeeded to the Ormsby estates. The Withers sale notice for part of the lands of Ballygrennan in the North Liberties of Limerick city records John Ormsby leasing Ballygrennan to George Lloyd for 880 years, date 10 Mar 1802. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Ormsby Rose held land in the parishes of Athlacca and Croom, barony of Coshma. In the 1870s Henry Rose of Paris, a minor, and Miss Rose of Paris, owned 1,374 acres and 422 acres respectively in county Limerick.