Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Knox (Rappa)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Knox (Rappa) Originally a Crofton estate which passed through a marriage connection to a younger son of the Knoxes of Castlereagh, county Mayo. Francis Knox was established at Rappa Castle by the mid 18th century and his descendants included the Knoxes of Belleek Manor, Broadlands Park, Netley Park, Greenwoodpark and Palmerstown. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the estate included six townlands in the parish of Bekan and one townland in parish of Aghamore, barony of Costello. Also included were at least three townlands in each of the parishes of Ardagh, Ballysakerry and Kilfian, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo. In 1876 Annesley Knox of Rappa held 6855 acres in county Mayo and 724 acres in county Galway. His wife Elizabeth, daughter of Arthur Knox of Bushfield, held a further 3,000 acres in her own right. Annesley Knox is recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parish of Ballynacourty, barony of Dunkellin, county Galway in 1855. The Ordnance Survey Name books from 1837 record William Ryan of Oranmore as his agent.
Palmer The Palmer family held extensive estates in counties Mayo and Sligo, some of which they were granted by royal patent dated 1684. Other lands were acquired from other grantees and landowners such as Henry Webb, Gerrard Colley, Richard Thompson and the Gores, Cuffs and Veseys. The Palmer's Mayo estates were concentrated in the barony of Tirawley, but they also had land in the baronies of Gallen, Burrishoole and Murrisk. Lane notes that Thomas Ormsby acted as agent for these estates. The Palmers bought a large estate in the barony of Erris from the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1857 but resold it in the 1860s. These lands had previously been leased by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to Alexander George Richey. In 1870 lands in the Barony of Erris were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The purchasers included Messers Ker St. George and Whyte, both in trust. In January 1872 Mr. John McCormack bought over 130 acres of the Palmer lands at Froghill. The Palmer's estates in Sligo were usually administered by an agent. In 1876 the Palmers owned over 80,000 acres in county Mayo, 9,570 in county Sligo and 4,202 in county Dublin. The Palmer estate in county Mayo was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in 1916. The principal family seat was at Kenure Park, Rush, county Dublin.By his will dated 7 Sept 1907 Sir Roger W.H.Palmer left the rent and profits from his Mayo and Sligo estates in trust for his wife and thereafter to the male issue of his niece Mary Adela Fenwick. Roderick George Fenwick succeeded his uncle in 1913, took the additional name of Palmer and lived at Cefn Park, Wales, until his death in 1968. After 1909 an offer from the Congested Districts Board for almost 8000 acres in county Sligo was accepted. A large collection of papers from the legal firm of W.J.Shannon and Company relating to the acquisition and history of the Palmer estates was deposited in the National Archives in 1990, Acc.1174.
Knox (Greenwoodpark) A junior branch of the Knoxes of Rappa held an estate in the parish of Kilfian, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo. In 1851 almost 3000 acres including Woodville was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court by John Knox and his brother Henry William Knox of Netley Park. The petitioner was Barbara Knox White, their sister-in-law. The representatives of John Henry Knox of Greenwoodpark, owned 6909 acres in county Mayo in 1876.
Knox (Netley Park) Henry William Knox and his brother John sold almost 3000 acres in the parishes of Crossmolina and Kilfian, barony of Tirawley, Co Mayo to their sister in law Barbara Knox White in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1851. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Knoxes of Netley Park held lands in the parishes of Doonfeeny, Ballysakeery, Kilbelfad and Kilmoremoy and in 1876 their estate amounted to 2744 acres. In May 1889 substantial portions of this estate were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in the names of Mary Mina Knox and Reginald Knox.
Orme (Abbeytown & Glenmore) The Ormes of Abbeytown held an estate in the parish of Crossmolina, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo from the mid 18th century. A younger son lived at Glenmore in the early 19th century. The Abbeytown estate of over 5000 acres was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852 and the Glenmore estate of 4556 acres in the parishes of Crossmolina and Moygawnagh in 1853.
Ryan (Cottage) Catherine Ryan leased a small estate of about 180 acres from the Athy estate at Cottage, barony of Dunkellin, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Mr. William Ryan, of Oranmore, is noted as the agent to the Knox (Rappa) estate in the parish of Ballynacourty, barony of Dunkellin, at the time of the first Ordnance Survey.