Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Quin/Wyndham-Quin

Family title

Earl of Dunraven


Estate(s)

Name Description
Quin (Quinsborough) Lord George Quin was the second son of Thomas Taylour, 1st Marquess of Headfort and Mary, only daughter and heir of George Quin of Quinsborough, parish of St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare, second son of Valentine Quin of Adare. In 1814 Lord George married a daughter of the 2nd Earl Spencer and they had two sons and one daughter. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation the Quin estate was in the parishes of Kilfintinan, Killeely and St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower, Kilseily, barony of Tulla Lower and Rath, barony of Inchiquin, county Clare, Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick and Clogher, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Lord George Quin of London owned 2,850 acres in county Clare, 889 acres in county Limerick and 3,078 acres in county Tipperary. In May 1866 part of the Quin estate in the barony of Tulla Lower was advertised for sale.
Quin/Wyndham-Quin Thady Quin (1645-1726) of Adare, county Limerick, had two sons from whom descend the Earls of Dunraven and the Quins of Rosbrien. In 1707, Thady's eldest son, Valentine Quin, married Mary Widenham and had two sons, Widenham and George of Quinsborough, county Clare. Valentine Richard Quin, eldest son of Widenham, was created 1st Earl of Dunraven in 1822. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Dunraven estate was mainly located in the parish of Adare, baronies of Kenry and Coshma, county Limerick, but the Earl also held land in the parishes of Kildimo and Croom, barony of Kenry and in the parishes of Ballingarry and Kilfinny, barony of Connello Upper, Abbeyfeale, barony of Glenquin and Anhid, Croom, Drehidtarsna and Dysert, barony of Coshma. The estate also held lands in the county Tipperary parish of Moyaliff, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper. His agent circa 1840 was [his cousin] Gamaliel Fitzgerald [Magrath] of George's St, Limerick. In the 1870s his estate was comprised of 14,298 acres. He was recorded as the proprietor of 164 acres in county Clare and over 850 acres in county Kerry at the same time.
Goold/Verschoyle Goold The Goold estate was mainly in the parishes of Rathronan (10 townlands) and Ardagh, barony of Shanid, county Limerick but this family also held land in the parishes of St Michaels, barony of Pubblebrien, Mahoonagh and Monagay, barony of Glenquin and Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam. Maurice Roach was agent to Thomas Goold, Master in Chancery, Dublin, in the early 1840s. The Dunraven genealogy traces the lineage of Thomas Goold, who was a great grandson of John Quin of Rosbrien, near Limerick city, born in 1692. Thomas Goold bought the Athea estate from Lord Courtenay in 1817, see http://www.limerickdioceseheritage.org/Athea/pplAthea.htm His son Wyndham Goold, Member of Parliament for county Limerick (died 1854), was the proprietor by the early 1850s. In the 1870s Wyndham's brother Archdeacon Goold of Athea, county Limerick, owned 10,966 acres in the county. In 1873 the Archdeacon's daughter and co heiress, Frances Goold, married Reverend Hamilton Stuart Verschoyle of county Donegal and their son, Hamilton Frederick Stuart Goold Verschoyle, assumed the additional name of Goold. The Archdeacon's sister, Augusta Charlotte, married her cousin, the 3rd Earl of Dunraven. In 1906 the representatives of the Venerable F.F. Goold held about 400 acres of untenanted land at Athea Upper.
Widenham There appear to be two branches of this family one in county Limerick and one in county Cork. Henry Widenham of Court, county Limerick, son of Henry Widenham was granted lands in the baronies of Kenry and Pubblebrien, county Limerick in 1684. He died in 1719 leaving two daughters, his co heiresss. Mary married Valentine Quin of Adare and Alice married Price Hartstonge, eldest son of Sir Standish Hartstonge, 2nd Baronet, of Bruff, county Limerick. In 1703 Henry Widenham of Court bought part of the confiscated estate of James II in the baronies of Kenry and Connello. Walter Widenham of Limerick city made his will in March 1797 leaving all his property in trust to Captain Widenham of Castle Widenham, county Cork, and Edmund Burton, Clifton, county Clare, for the benefit of his daughter, Frances Blood, for life and then to her children and in default to his three nephews, William, Hyacinth and Francis Compton. Lieutenant Colonel John Widenham was granted over 2,600 acres in the barony of Fermoy, county Cork in 1666.
Fitzgerald/Fitzgerald Magrath A family well established at Ballynard and Bellfield close to Limerick city in the 18th century. Gamaliel Fitzgerald Magrath was agent to the Earl of Dunraven and married the 1st Earl's sister. Their daughter married George Maunsell of Milford, near Limerick city. [Their son was the Reverend Windham Magrath Fitzgerald]. The Fitzgerald Magraths lived at Redmondstown, county Tipperary.
Quinn/Quin (Loughloher) In the mid 1770s the estate of Gamaliel Magrath of Redmondstown was worth £1,500. He was married to the daughter of Windham Quin of Adare, county Limerick (Kilboy Papers). In the mid 19th century William Quinn held an estate in the parishes of Ardfinnan, Caher, Derrygrath and Rochestown, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county Tipperary. He married Ellen, daughter of Brook Brazier of Mitchell's Fort, county Tipperary, and died in 1869. The fee farm rent of £336, the estate of William Quinn, due from lands in the barony of Slievardagh amounting to 2,383 acres, was advertised for sale in May 1871. These lands were leased to the representatives of Rebecca Hartford by fee farm grant dated 23 December 1852. In the 1870s William Quinn of Loughloher Castle owned 2,581 acres in county Tipperary.
Gallwey In the 1870s Sir William Gallwey 2nd Baronet of Thirkleby Park, Yorkshire, is recorded as owning 712 acres in county Tipperary. His father was created a baronet in 1812 and his mother was Lady Harriet Quin only daughter of the 1st Earl of Dunraven. Lord Dunraven held some land in county Tipperary in the mid 19th century.