Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lloyd (Prospect)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lloyd (Beechmount) In 1805 Colonel Thomas Lloyd purchased Beechmount in the parish of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower. He was the son of the Reverend Thomas Lloyd and his second wife, Frances, daughter of John Bateman of Altavilla, county Limerick. In 1797, their son Thomas married Catherine Evans of Miltown Castle. Thomas and Catherine were the parents of Thomas of Beechmount and Eyre of Prospect, county Limerick. Colonel Thomas F. Lloyd owned 209 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s while his brother Arthur Lloyd also with an address at Beechmount owned 304 acres. Their half sister married John Maunsell of the Ballywilliam family and the Maunsell entry in ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' suggests she succeeded to much of her father's estate. Cloonkerry House appears to have been a Lloyd residence in the mid 19th century. Elizabeth Lloyd who lived there at the time of Griffith’s Valuation was a Barclay. She was married to Reverend John Lloyd, fourth son of Col Thomas Lloyd of Beechmount. Her grandson Thomas Lloyd later lived at Thornberry. Part (420 acres) of the Jacob estate at Johnstown, county Tipperary, sold to Elizabeth Lloyd, widow, in 1853, was offered for sale again in November 1875 and June 1876. Some lots were purchased in trust by John Mockler and Michael Dalton.
Lloyd (Prospect) At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Eyre Lloyd held an estate in the parishes of Cappagh and Clonshire, barony of Connello Lower, and Kilmeedy, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick. Eyre Lloyd is recorded as a middleman on lands belonging to Dean Preston of Limerick and to the Bishop of Limerick at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. He was the second son of Thomas Lloyd of Beechmount. In November 1859 1,689 acres the estate of Eyre Lloyd in the baronies of Coonagh, Connello Upper and Lower, Coshlea and Kilmallock was advertised for sale. In the 1870s his estate amounted to 1,912 acres in the county. Robert L. Brown was agent to Eyre Lloyd.
Peppard (Cappagh) The Peppards were resident at Cappagh, county Limerick, from the early 18th century. They do not appear to have owned a large acreage but they were a prominent family in the locality. John Peppard held land in the parish of Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Two members of the Peppard family of Salestown, Dunboyne, county Meath, owned 371 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s.