Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wood (Lota House)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Wood (Lota House) George Abraham Wood held some land in the parish of Feenagh, barony of Bunratty Upper, county Clare, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, including Springfield House which he was leasing to Francis Morris. At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Wood held land in the parishes of Castlelyons and Gortroe, barony of Barrymore, county Cork. In the 1870s George A. Wood of Lota House, county Cork, owned 181 acres in county Clare, 2,502 acres in county Cork and 2,910 acres in county Waterford. He was among the principal lessors in the parish of Lismore and Mocollop in 1851. He was the fourth son of Michael Wood of Cork.
Wood (Cork) Andrew Jordaine Wood of 10 Sydney Place, Cork, is recorded by Hussey de Burgh as owning over 6,000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s while the Return of Landowners dated 1876 records his ownership as 3,395 acres. Colonel Andrew J. Wood was a military man who had served as High Sheriff of Cork. His son Andrew assumed the name of Ryder in 1875 and his representatives were living at Castlelyons in 1906. George A. Wood of Lota House was also a member of this family. In August 1851 the Freeman's Journal reported that Captain Andrew Wood was the purchaser of over 3000 acres in the parish of Dunbulloge, barony of Barrymore, in the Encumbered Estates Court. Another family member may have been Benjamin Shaw Wood who held land in the parishes of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow and Castlelyons, barony of Barrymore, county Cork in the mid 19th century. The representatives of Shaw Benjamin Wood of Cork owned 2,435 acres in the county in the 1870s.